What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on where one has to lug the tank, how long the surface swim is to the dive site,and what water one is in when sucking the air. You are certainly right if the diver just drops off a boat and dives right there.

I always found that overall free diving was easier, of course I wasn't trying to set records and about 40' was good enough for where I was diving. I could get a bit deeper, but I wasn't a fan. I could certainly move around a lot easier and faster without all the scuba gear.
I remember you telling me once when we were out there that you could freedive good enough to get four decent size abs. That was always pretty much my motto, well then three abs, and now unfortunately none.
BTW, Jennifer says hi.
I’ve been involved quite a bit at the dive shop lately.

I am not really saying it is outrageously expensive, but if you are not doing it more than 6 or 7 times a year, you are still having get visuals and hydros and trips get blown out even though you already rented gear. Competing activities are often lower entry level costs, can be done in more locations and are much less subject to the whims of the weather gods.

The challenge in diving is not just getting people to take classes but to keep people engaged in the sport. OW costs $500, AOW cost another $500 and boat charters cost money. Gear cost money. My dive buddy just informed the gas bill for our recent trip to Cape Ann was $70. Do new divers build social networks of other divers? Staying engaged in a sport is easier if you have a spouse that dives also.
Yes, good points. I admit to looking at it from the viewpoint of someone that dives regularly. People like us are not the reason for this thread. The costs are incredibly high if you only dive once or twice every 6 months. I would be a bit nervous about doing that, but many aren't.

I remember you telling me once when we were out there that you could freedive good enough to get four decent size abs. That was always pretty much my motto, well then three abs, and now unfortunately none.

Well, as I said before, they don't run fast.

Another thing about free diving, on a sunny day I could be out in the water for three to five hours just poking around. Hunting abalone, fish, urchins, crab, and spotting places to scuba dive later. When the viz is good, it would rival any place I've been, not so much without the kelp.

Well, as I said before, they don't run fast.

Another thing about free diving, on a sunny day I could be out in the water for three to five hours just poking around. Hunting abalone, fish, urchins, crab, and spotting places to scuba dive later. When the viz is good, it would rival any place I've been, not so much without the kelp.
Well, no kelp but we’re working to change that.

Well, no kelp but we’re working to change that.
Kelp sucks. Too much of it here! Can't see sand at some sites. Can't find shells, flounders.

Most of the blue collar worker types that you’d think would be manly and want adventure of diving especially locally tell me there’s no F-ing way they’ll go into that ocean.
This brings up another point: not everyone had regular access to the ocean while young and impressionable. I was fortunate to grow up on the coast, where the beach was near enough to go regularly. So the ocean became familiar to me early on and I did not face it with the fear of the unknown. Also, mom insisted that we kids had to learn to swim, because we lived on the coast, so by the time I reached adulthood, I was comfortable in the water.

This brings up another point: not everyone had regular access to the ocean while young and impressionable. I was fortunate to grow up on the coast, where the beach was near enough to go regularly. So the ocean became familiar to me early on and I did not face it with the fear of the unknown. Also, mom insisted that we kids had to learn to swim, because we lived on the coast, so by the time I reached adulthood, I was comfortable in the water.
That’s a fair point. I also grew up near the coast. Saltwater was in my blood from a very early age. So much so, that I really have trouble understanding why someone would NOT want to dive. I even have trouble understanding how new divers have issues with breathing through the mouth while underwater, or removing mask, etc. I read through those threads, but generally can’t offer any help, as those things just clicked for me with no conscious effort.

Though my parents grew up in more inland areas, and didn’t learn to swim until later in life, they made sure we all learned how to swim at an early age. Even so, of the 4 kids, who were all strong swimmers, I was the only one who caught the bug. My brother and sisters like the water, but casual snorkeling on occasion is as far as they took it. They have no fear of the ocean, but just don’t have the same level of fascination that I do.

And not everyone who lives close to the coast particularly likes the water or encourages that in their kids too.

My sister and I grew up only an hour away from the beach but my mom was terrified of the water. We only went a handful of times and each time I remember as soon as I tried to run to the water, she'd start yelling at me and yank me back if I went any farther than ankle deep (and even that took a while for her to allow). Somehow I still caught the water bug (probably fully thanks to David Attenborough) but I only managed to swim in the ocean when I was an adult and a month before doing my OW, and it took me time to actually be comfortable and coordinated in the water. I don't even think I told her I was getting certified until after it had happened. Come to think of it I still don't tell her I've been diving or swimming until after it happens and I can distract her incoming lecture with pretty underwater pictures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom