What is the difference between a .012 and #7 o-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the danco orings are buna nitrile. relatively soft, i think 60 or 65 duro. not my first choice as bulk viton duro 75 orings from mcmaster carr are 6.82 for a pack of 100 or less than 7 cents per.

What were you going to do with it? I would have no qualms about using it in an LP, air, static application. I might even give it a try in other applications that are not too challenging.

WooHoo, 49 cents here I come! :D

OK, here's my attempt at succinctness;

1. On a dive, my inflator button started leaking around the outside edge of the inflator cartridge (which was encrusted with verdigris (I finally noticed).

2. I extracted the cartridge so I could replace all the o-rings with a VITON o-ring inflator kit (which I bought for the wrench).

3. I could not disassemble the cartridge without something stronger than my hand to hold the button.

4. Since the leak was on the outside of the cartridge I replaced the larger static o-ring (-012) closest to the button.
That stopped the leak. I went for a dive. (Yay)

5. Later, I disassembled the cartridge and accidently damaged the new Viton o-ring. (Boo hoo).

6. I soaked the cartridge parts over night in white vinegar which virtually dissolved the verdigris, leaving the copper undercoating where the nickle-plate had worn off (allowing the verdigris to form).

7. I decided to put the cartridge back together and use it as a temporary save-a-dive cartridge for salt water or fresh water, instead of trying to remember which wing had the mostly copper-on-brass cartridge.

8. Today I took a cartridge from another Halcyon wing, installed it in the one with the bad cartridge, and went diving (Yay)

9. I have to lie down now.

Last edited:
They're the same size. Is it the material/application, e.g., dynamic vs. static?
Thanks

The "Usual" sizing standard seen for o-rings is AS568 which is an Aerospace standard. There are other standards such as AN 6227 that have the same size o-rings but with different designations.

Why? I don't know. As to it's effect on quality-I don't know that either.

At work, (aircraft mechanic) I sometimes have to replace seals and upon looking it up, I am sometimes surprised to find a seal I was "sure" was a -011 or -012 turns out to be a 6 or 7. THEY are just trying to confuse us.
:confused:

I'll list a few examples below.

I cannot get the formatting to cooperate so in the table below the first column is the AN 6627 number, the second column is the AS 568 number

AN 6627/ AS 568
5 / -10
6 / -11
7 / -12

Back
Top Bottom