What is the difference between a .012 and #7 o-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
They're the same size. Is it the material/application, e.g., dynamic vs. static?
Thanks

012 is a standard size. #7 is something listed by a particular manufacturer in their manual and could be anything.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

012 is a standard size. #7 is something listed by a particular manufacturer in their manual and could be anything.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
home depot Danco plumbing faucet orings appear to use the #7 nonmenclature

DANCO #10 O-Ring (10-Pack)-96727 - The Home Depot

there are multiple standards for specifying the size of orings. #7 is not one of them.

in general the size standards specify size only. they do not spec material or other properties. knowing just the size tells you very little about an oring.

Yes, the #7 I bought to replace a .012 is a Danco, and all their standard sizes are numbered the same way. I guess it's just peculiar to Danco.

Yes, the #7 I bought to replace a .012 is a Danco, and all their standard sizes are numbered the same way. I guess it's just peculiar to Danco.
so it will be perfectly fine to fix a leaky faucet. i would be very worried about using for scuba gear as you have no idea of the material.

The 012 is a dash standard o ring. -012 is how they are listed. The dash has nothing to do with material its made of. Its a size.

The 012 is a dash standard o ring. -012 is how they are listed. The dash has nothing to do with material its made of. Its a size.

Yes, I was wondering if the "#7" indicated anything other than Danco idiosyncrasy.

Specifications for that DANCO #7 indicate it is 1/2 inch OD and 3/8 inch ID so it is the same size as a 2-012. It may well work just fine, depending on the application. The specs don't give any indication of hardness but you can squeeze it in comparison to the o-ring you are replacing and get some indication. Material spec just indicates "rubber" so, hard to tell, but I would assume nitrile.

What were you going to do with it? I would have no qualms about using it in an LP, air, static application. I might even give it a try in other applications that are not too challenging.

Back
Top Bottom