What is the definition of “Muck Diving”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muck diving at night is really where the action is.
All diving at night, for that matter. Speaking of which--"blackwater"--I mean, that sounds pretty gross, doesn't it? Like what happens after somebody stirs up the muck?

Blackwater diving is not muck diving. It about the exact opposite!

MUCK DIVING Definition & Meaning

The closest I get to my idea of muck diving is looking for lost items at the bottom of the Bodega Bay harbor in the “real” muck.

also excvating for artifacts under piers and other sites of human activity in sand or silt or other muck and detritus

Years ago we said we were muck diving when we'd dive silty bottoms or river beds and dig around on the bottom looking for bottles and stuff. When we'd get out we'd be filthy from all the muck we stirred up. Visibility was usually only a couple feet to start and quickly went to crap after we stirred up the sediment.

This is the first time I've heard the term muck diving with relation to photography.

Muck diving sounds kind of gross.
The term “muck diving” gives me the impression that it’s diving down in low to zero vis dark mud bottom sludgy gross place full of muck, like a sewer pond.
What is muck diving???
You are right! Don’t believe all the others …they are just faking it… this is what they really do when they say they’ve been muck diving… it’s all an elaborate cover-up! :rofl3: :outtahere:

IMG_8038.gif
IMG_8040.gif

About 8 years ago, I posted this question to SB:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom