What is the definition of “Muck Diving”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Muck diving sounds kind of gross.
The term “muck diving” gives me the impression that it’s diving down in low to zero vis dark mud bottom sludgy gross place full of muck, like a sewer pond.
What is muck diving???

It's diving in clear, shallow tropical waters over a bottom that is dark and void of coral or vegetation. The attraction is to photographers with mammoth cameras because it has loads of nudibranchs and a variety of other hard to spot critters in an ideal photographic setting.

I've done it, but I am not a photographer with a mammoth camera, so I don't get as excited.

It's when you dive over a sand or dirt bottom with the intention to see or photograph the bottom-dwelling wildlife. As opposed to, say, a reef, a kelp forest, a cave, or a wreck.

I would exclude stuff like training dives in a lake or a quarry, even though those often have a sandy/silty bottom, because the purpose of such diving is not to hang out with the critters living in the muck.

It’s a poor name for diving over a mostly featureless sandy or silty bottom looking for creatures that hide in the sand or silt or in the occasional shell, coconut shard, or trash. I enjoy it, and I’m not a photographer. I don’t think muck diving implies a water clarity, but places with clear tropical water are more likely to attract divers.

As others have said, it's largely for the purpose of macro photography- you dive over a loose sedimentary bottom with the puropse of seeing and photographing the small creatures (nudibranchs and other invertebrates are of particular interest) that live there "in the muck".

I agree it doesn't have the most appealing name.

Well that leaves me out of it. I’m allergic to warm water anyway, I feel like it chokes me and I get unnerved, and big cameras (actually my wallet is allergic to big expensive cameras) so no muck diving for me.
The closest I get to my idea of muck diving is looking for lost items at the bottom of the Bodega Bay harbor in the “real” muck.

Some of my best friends live in the muck. :)
1721692677523.png

1721692726843.png

1721692849780.png

1721692886012.png

1721693035651.png

The local muck diving spot is world renowned and photogs have visited from around the world to photograph the array of critters from tiny nudi to spotted eagle rays and manatees. It's the go-to site when the ocean is snotty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom