Votes: 23 19.8%
  • 80'

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • 100+

Votes: 59 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thats if you can bolt up from 130 ft, which is roughly 40 meters on a single breath....thats at least a 45 second swim.

Please read at least some of the thread. That has been discussed over and over here. Yes, it is not only possible but it has been done by some of the posters here, with no ill effects. The single breath becomes maybe 3 as you come up depending on depth, although the oxygen is being depleted.

beejw:
thats if you can bolt up from 130 ft, which is roughly 40 meters on a single breath....thats at least a 45 second swim.
That's what CESA is all about. That is why you are supposed to exhale the entire way up. I suggest you ask your SCUBA instructor about it.

and like Dennis is saying... read this thread. It's been hashed out over and over again, that it's not only possible, but people do it successfully, and Navy Submariners do it as part of training.

Rick Murchison:
No, you won't forget. So don't practice it. There are probably lots of other things that fall into the same category and the same logic can be applied. You know, "S" drills and valve shutdowns and all that kind of rote stuff... just makes no sense to practice those either, eh?
Rick :D
I had to do S-drills and valve shutdowns in real life...but never a CESA. (Both involved free flows in cold water)

So...batter up...try again.

howarde:
It's more of an option than drowning
But drowning aint an option at all.. still dont make a CESA a real option..

Tigerman:
and why would that be? CESA - IS a real option, it's been proven. People do it. It works... That's why they teach people how to do it at the Basic Open Water level. It's in case of EMERGENCY :wink:

As stated in this thread SEVERAL times, it can be successful from any "recreational depth" (that's up to 130 FSW) :wink:

Some of the people who post here apparently feel that their presence proves how well a CESA works from depth. Wonder what the people who are NOT HERE would say about how well CESA worked for them? You know, the LAST time they every got to try it...

Again...

Read - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114092

There are a few stories from SB vets who have successfully done a CESA.

Of course you can't ask the people whom it didn't work for, but wouldn't they be dead anyway? CESA is an emergency escape route. When all else fails, and when you've got nothing to lose. I hope to never have to do a real one, but I know that I would know how to do one, if the situation arose.

It is a last ditch option. Obviously if you have other assets like a buddy or redundant air, then you would not do a CESA. If you did not have a buddy or redundant air, then a CESA becomes the last option. That is unless you want to die.

I don't think anyone is saying that it foolproof, the people who may have died doing a CESA would have at least had a good chance. A lot better chance than staying down there.

Tigerman:

So what "real option" would you use instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom