What is the best full face mask (FFM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dive primarily in cold water. The water gets so cold on my lips and parts of my face not covered by my hood or mask that it makes me not want to go below 35 or 40 feet. I always turn back.

I notice that there are quite a few full face masks for sale out there. I am interested in getting one where I can later add communications equipment. I think it would be cool to communicate with people above water (that equipment is kind of expensive) or with a buddy who also is wearing a mask. It also seems like the peripheral vision might be improved since the clear plastic seems to go around the face a bit.

They also aren't too expensive. They all seem to be well under a grand ($500 to $800). And they come with a second stage built in. I don't own my own 1st and second stage, and was planning on buying (scubapro a700) a second stage that would have cost me over $300 anyway.

I notice that there are a bunch of different manufacturers and models:
Ocean Reef Neptune II
Ocean Reef Neptune Space G
OTC Guardian
Divator MKI
Inerspiro AGA

Which would you recommend?

Is there another model I don't have on my list?

Another question I have is, what do I do with my integrated inflator octo? In the case of my primary malfunctioning, would I rip my mask off and put in my backup regulator, and swim to the surface blind?

I haven't used any FFM yet but hope to someday. From what I have read the OTC Guardian and the AGA are considered very good. The Neptune Space looks nice, but I am not sure if it is.

As for your integrated safe second, I think that is simply incompatible with using a FFM. With the integrated safe second you have to donate your primary reg, which can't be done when it is a FFM, so you have to donate your alternate instead, which can't be done if it is integrated. So quite simply, don't use the integrated safe second. You could of course have both a regular alternate and the integrated safe second (so much for saving hoses) in addition to the FFM. That should work fine.

Just another item on the "Why integrated safe seconds are not such a good idea after all" list.

The AGA is a good solid mask, don't know much about the others really so cant comment.

Generally if your going to be diving a full face mask its a good idea to use a standard octopus and carry a spare mask in your BC. That way if something goes wrong with your FFM or primary regulator you can take off your FFM, switch to your octopus and put on your backup mask. This also allows you to donate your octopus to your buddy in an emergency.

Also if its just cold that's bothering you you can cut out a square of neoprene, cut a hole in it for your reg to go through then tuck the neoprene into your hood when you put in your reg. This covers your cheeks for warmth and also is handy for keeping jellyfish stings off you as well!

I have not gotten to use them in the water yet but have tried them on and the OTS is definetly IMO a better mask out the bunch. while the Ocean reef is a better value it's felt less of quality not as robust as the OTS. The OTS just felt like a very solid mask.

My instructor dives an OTC guardian and loves it. I've looked at the mask. Feels solid and very high quality. Hopefully I'll get to dive it memorial weekend. The ocean reef on the other hand: to me, they look thin and cheap. If you tap on the lense with your finger nail, the plastic sounds cheap and flimsy. A couple of divers in our group on dog days was having issues with the face seal. Every time they tried to tighten up the mask, the seals would fold over and of course leak. Its hard to explain the seal without actually showing it. If you get a buddyphone, don't forget the batteries. Firefrog can tell you all about that.

There is also the Drager Panorama Dive Mask, But they are pretty expensive new and pretty rare to find used. And I think the second stage has to have a special tube put on it to fit in the mask. But they look like the coolest mask available.

I have used an AGA and the OTS Guardian. I think the model AGA that I have used is an older model, but I preferred it to the Guardian, because it was easier to clear your ears. However, most of the others that use the same equipment as me, prefer the Guardian. The Guardian does have a bigger field of vision.

I have always used these mask in a shallow environment(<30 fsw), so if I had a problem I would just go to the surface. I know other people that use a ffm regularly and they have an octo and then put a spare mask around the bottom of their tank so they could ditch the ffm, get the octo and then the spare mask in an emergency.

There is also the Drager Panorama Dive Mask, But they are pretty expensive new and pretty rare to find used. And I think the second stage has to have a special tube put on it to fit in the mask. But they look like the coolest mask available.

Neat mask. Never hear of it until now. I like the external levers to pinch the nose. Thats sounds a lot better than smashing the mask against your face.

Depending on the dive, I use the Scuba Pro FFM, spare mask on the harness and reg bungee'd to my neck. Made a world of difference with dry mouth issues and cold (44°) water, easy to clear my ears wearing thick gloves and low volume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom