What is PADI's equivalence to Advanced Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good instructor teaching basic nitrox.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming we are talking about TDI Advanced Nitrox, then no matter how good your PADI basic nitrox instructor is, the course would be no comparison to Advanced Nitrox since they are completely different courses.

I think PADI Tec 45 would be the most equivalent based on limits, since you would be certified to breathe nitrox down to 145' and using one deco bottle up to 100% O2 for deco. Advanced Nitrox would involve breathing nitrox to 150', also using one deco bottle up to 100% O2 for deco.

TDI Advanced Nitrox is commonly taught in conjunction with decompression procedures, and I believe PADI Tec45 has pre-requisite courses that cover that training.

I teach both, adv nitrox is a more thorough course.....do my padi nitrox and you get the equivalent of the TDI course. Yes, I'm a good instructor.....:b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, not quite. TDI Adv Nitrox is for dives to 130 only, and no deco, but yes you do get to use 100%. TEC 40 is also to 130, with limited deco (10 mins) on bottom-gas only, and only up to 50%. TEC 45 gets you to 145 ft, with 100%, and with single-bottle deco, which is very close to TDI Deco Procedures (which requries Adv Nitrox as a prereq or co-class). So there is no real equivalence between PADI and TDI at the Adv Nitrox level....only at the Deco Procedures level.

PADI Tec 40 is closest. According to both agencies Tec 40 = Adv Nitrox (when asking for prerequisite training). I rarely teach Adv Nitrox without Deco Proc and rarely teach Tec 40 with Tec 45. The courses are definitely better as a pair.

From what I understand, by te time you have Tec 45, you are at the same stage as Adv Nitrox an Deco Procedures. But getting there, the order is reversed with the Tec courses.

As I get it, the 40 is similar training to Deco Procedures, teaching you the basics if Deco, and the Tec 45 adds in using a deco gas (up to 100%) to 45m. I actually think that could be the better way round of doing it, learn the skills then how to optimise it.

In terms of agency-recognized equivalency; Advanced Nitrox = Tec40

However, the PADI TecRec system delivers training in a very different order to AN/DP. Where AN primarily concentrates on using 21-100% O2, the Tec40 course is a broader all-round, entry-level technical course. It provides >50% O2, as well as equipment, protocols, single deco cylinder and deco planning/conduct.

Tec40 qualifies for >10 mins (non-accelerated) decompression using >50% O2, to a depth of 40m. It's a very 'lite' technical course, that IMHO offers a great introduction to tech, but retains very safe limits whilst the diver gains initial tech experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom