what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all!
I took this picture at about 40' at Kewalo pipe. It's the first time I've seen this and was told it is a soft coral....wouldn't I've seen it before if it was? Do they grow that fast or can corals move?
To me the ribbon looks more like nudi eggs of some kind.....the white stuff could be a soft coral and the green from the sponge (looks more like moss) family....
Any tips?
Aloha,
Lisa

actually I don't know what is this but it looks amazing. I can't wait to know what is this

Wow...that IS wierd. The ribbon part could be nudi eggs...how big was it? The green fuzzy part could be some type of algae. I'm just not that good on Hawaiian stuff but I don't think ya'll have soft corals, 'course I could be wrong!

I would say it was about 12" across and sticking up about, oh os 3 or 4 inches ( the middle part).The lacy edge was about an inch...maybe a little more high and as far as I could tell it went all the way around...If all fails I'll send it to the Bishop Museum and see what they say.

Nice shot justleesa!
For once I can actually say that it is soft coral, or at least I'm 80% sure it is. I was looking at something just like that ribbon stuff in a mag called Scubapress. They had taken a bunch of shots in the Cayman's and they showed the ribbon like stuff.

I'll try to dig it up tonight - its my buddy's b-day so I'll try to remember after the festivities :wink:

but it looks a bit like the mantle of some type of clam to me. The white and green areas may just be acretions onto the shell.

The layout of the 'ribbon' has about the right geometry to be a mantle.

justleesa:
Hi all!
I took this picture at about 40' at Kewalo pipe. It's the first time I've seen this and was told it is a soft coral....wouldn't I've seen it before if it was? Do they grow that fast or can corals move?
To me the ribbon looks more like nudi eggs of some kind.....the white stuff could be a soft coral and the green from the sponge (looks more like moss) family....
Any tips?
Aloha,
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom