What is Hogarthian Divng?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karst... since you know Bill... what do you make of the article by Petersen?

Looked at another way:

Hog is about gear configuration, driven by minimalism, streamlining, etc.

DIR is all about the team, which drives issues like gear configuration, gas selection, team awareness, dive planning and protocol, etc.

Twins from different mothers.

John

I've been using the 7ft hose since got my first set of gear which also included a BP/W and in strictly OW environments. What I like most about it is that during an OOA drill the OOA diver can have it and relax with no need to be right on top of me as would be required if we were using standard recreational gear.

In the past few weeks I have been using a standard jacket BC with the long hose. The only problem I have had is keeping the hose tucked into the cumberbund while diving. However, this is simply solved by swimming with my hands on it. Since proper horizontal swimming is accomplished with the hands under you, this is also not a problem.

I've had a few people comment on the necklace/long hose configuration here in Phuket since they had never seen it before. Most were fairly new divers and were strictly by the book vacation divers. This is fine. They did not care to learn more about it and I did not force the issue.

For me, the best way to decide if the long hose is right for a specific diver is to go dive with someone that has one and do some OOA drills. That is the method I have used to convert several people, in the past.

While the long hose was originally based on the idea of being in tight quarters such as a cave, thus limiting one's ability to swim side by side, I also could not imagine doing a real OOA from 100ft in the standard recreational configuration as taught in OW class. The long hose allows both divers the opportunity to relax and suface comfortably instead of in a panic.

JMHO

Quarrior:
. . . In the past few weeks I have been using a standard jacket BC with the long hose. The only problem I have had is keeping the hose tucked into the cumberbund while diving. However, this is simply solved by swimming with my hands on it. Since proper horizontal swimming is accomplished with the hands under you, this is also not a problem. . . .

. . . While the long hose was originally based on the idea of being in tight quarters such as a cave, thus limiting one's ability to swim side by side, I also could not imagine doing a real OOA from 100ft in the standard recreational configuration as taught in OW class. The long hose allows both divers the opportunity to relax and suface comfortably instead of in a panic.

JMHO

When diving the 7 ft. hose without a canister light to tuck under, I either clip a reel or a 2-lb. clip-on weight to my right hip D-ring and route the hose under that. (If you do the weight, you'll probably want one on your left hip as well for balance.)

A real OOA from 100 ft. with most divers will still be a panic situation. The long hose will give you additional options on position and will give the OOA diver a better-performing reg to breathe, which will at least help to not accellerate the panic, but you better get a good grip on that dude and be prepared for anything on the way up. If he hasn't practiced gas management and a habit of checking his gas supply, what do you want to bet he hasn't practiced an alternate air source ascent since he got certified?

BTW, did you leave your BP/Wing in the U.S. or is that rig too negatively buoyant in the tropical waters of your new haunts?

theskull

theskull:
When diving the 7 ft. hose without a canister light to tuck under, I either clip a reel or a 2-lb. clip-on weight to my right hip D-ring and route the hose under that. (If you do the weight, you'll probably want one on your left hip as well for balance.)
I agree and that is how I would do it if I didn't have my light. However, as you know, my can light is part of my weighting system and have yet to dive without it.

theskull:
BTW, did you leave your BP/Wing in the U.S. or is that rig too negatively buoyant in the tropical waters of your new haunts?

theskull
No, I shipped my rig in July via USPS surface and it has yet to show up, so I'm using a loaner BC. Along with my tanks. Fortunately I insured all of it. I brought my masks, fins, computer, regs, compass, and light on the plane with me.

Oh, remember that leaking reg? The service tech didn't fix it. I'm glad I brought two.

Stephen Ash:
Karst... since you know Bill... what do you make of the article by Petersen?

I scanned the article,and find it is a well written article that embellishes in a positive manner. Bill's mind is constantly focused on this endeavor,and each time I see him he will share some nuance,but unfortunately nothing is really documented. I think the true strength of Hogarthian is its ability to be challanged and refined. If I ever went up to Bill with a modification/refinement he would analyze it,possibly test it himself,and then either accept it,reject it,or modify it more. I find Hogarthian is a living breathing model since all of us can challange the system. I think DIR is excellent on its expansion into other areas,the only negative I find is that the whole group can't challange and refine the system without losing the DIR label,and it is marketing driven to some extent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom