What is correct oil level at site glass for SW 4.0 CFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2859tim

Registered
Reaction score
What is the correct compressor oil level at siteglass for a Stewart Warner Southwind 4.0 CFM...MODEL 3800203-5....FSN 2H4310-165-4885.

Presently the siteglass is 95 to 100% covered while compressor is not running and level. During fill operation at 3500RPM, siteglass is approx 60 to 65% covered. Don't have a manual but was told by a person who had another SW 4.0 that siteglass should be 3/4..If I fill oil so that I show 3/4 SG at full RPM then I seem to get a small amount of oil seeping from crankcase breather funnel cap but does not happen at 65% level...This is an onboard boat scuba fill application...Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you are 95% full when the compressor is not running , you are fine. The lower level when running is because the oil is being splashed all over the inside of the compressor.
IF you over fill the oil level you will have more oil on the deck of your boat.
Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com

Hi Jim...Thanks kindly for feedback !....So sounds like I should just adopt as rule to maintain the oil level at or near full site glass when compressor is off and unit is level.

By the way...Does anyone know of any brand new SW southwind 4.0 surplus comps that are available ?...I would like to have a backup (compressor only)...The ones that bargan marge has are from the trailer mount units (I think) and they have a much deeper oil sump that would not fit my existing setup. Looks like they have a few different 4.0 units and mine is the lower profile smaller capacity sump.

Hi Jim...Thanks kindly for feedback !....So sounds like I should just adopt as rule to maintain the oil level at or near full site glass when compressor is off and unit is level.

By the way...Does anyone know of any brand new SW southwind 4.0 surplus comps that are available ?...I would like to have a backup (compressor only)...The ones that bargan marge has are from the trailer mount units (I think) and they have a much deeper oil sump that would not fit my existing setup. Looks like they have a few different 4.0 units and mine is the lower profile smaller capacity sump.

As my understand the lower profile smaller capacity sump one is rated 2000 psi model and the the deeper oil sump one is rated 3000 psi model. Just for your reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom