What is considered being a Strong Swimmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuSexFulDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
At what point is a diver considered a strong swimmer?

I know PADI required us to swim 200 yards and Thread water for 15 minutes. I was wondering what do some of you consider being a strong swimmer?

Is it being able to swim 200 yards freestyle under a certain amount of time, or
being able to swim 500 yards or a mile freestyle non stop in a certain amount of time?

I know most here will argue that scuba divers do not actually swim, or that freestyle swimming skills has little to do with scuba diving, but to those who feel that being able to swim is an important aspect of scuba diving, at what point do you consider a swimmer/diver a strong swimmer.

What are the swim requirements a Divemaster or Instructor must complete to become a Divemaster or Dive Instructor?

I would not consider anything less than one mile in 30 minutes a strong swimmer. The word you used is "strong"---not adequate or good or capable or good enough. A strong swimmer can complete a mile in 30 easily and get out of the water feeling good. A strong swimmer will not need to stop or rest and will swim the mile continuously. N

PADI require a DM to swim 400m, tread water for 15min, tow a diver 100m and snorkel 800m. This is only a one off cert requirement. There is no requirement to keep up this level of fitness once qualified!!

All these score points according to speed or competency. A min score of 12 is required across the different disciplines.

The following is of the top of my head my not be spot on.

400m
1 point for finishing
5 points for < 7 mins

800m
1 point for finishing
5 points for < 12mins

Nemrod:
I would not consider anything less than one mile in 30 minutes a strong swimmer. The word you used is "strong"---not adequate or good or capable or good enough. A strong swimmer can complete a mile in 30 easily and get out of the water feeling good. A strong swimmer will not need to stop or rest and will swim the mile continuously. N

About 58 yards per minute is a good pace. Fast would be 90 yards or so per minute? I think my son does 52.5 in the 100 yard freestyle swimming on his high school team.

You are required to repeat the watermanship skills at the IDC. But, there are no other times you are required to maintain the skills to my knowledge. I still swim before class to maintain the fitness required for rescues.

SuSexFulDiver:
I know PADI required us to swim 200 yards and Thread water for 15 minutes.

Actually, PADI's requirements are not quite that strict. A non-swimmer (or anyone else, for that matter) can substitute a 300 yd snorkel for the swim and the required tred is 10 minutes, not 15.

Walter

My Instructor did not give us the option of doing a 300 yd snorkel. LOL Oh you are right, I practiced doing the tred for 15 minutes thats why I was thinking 15.

I ask about what is considered a strong swimmer, because since becoming certified in October I have been going swimming at 5:45am twice a week before heading to work, with a great swim coach here at one of the local colleges.

I have been getting much better at my times and distances, and was wondering what is considered to be a strong swimming within the Dive community.

My Swim instructor told me I will soon be able to swim 2 miles no problem at the pace im going.

One thing I have learned is the more time I spend in a pool swimming the more comfortable and relaxed I become being in water. Even though we do not use freestyle swimming skills in scuba, it sure do help my diving in other ways.

I want to be able to swim at least 1 mile non stop at a good pace. I think it will not only keep me in shape, but also help my confidence in the water while diving.

Also since I got certified I have lost 15 pounds, I think the swimming has lots to do with it, but I also try to mountain bike at least 2 times a week 33 miles each ride.

I also asked so I can set goals other than being able to swim 1 mile.

Hank49:
About 58 yards per minute is a good pace. Fast would be 90 yards or so per minute? I think my son does 52.5 in the 100 yard freestyle swimming on his high school team.

Nice time on the 100 yds. He does the 100 in what is my anerobic threshold index pace is in the 50. That is determined after a 30 minute swim. Guess age, weight and ability has something to do with it.

I consider myself a fit, competent swimmer. A strong swimmer to me is the world-class men and women on my swim team.

And that is the whole point, as a swim instructor, substitute coach, and avid diver (as well as a competitive long distance masters swimmer) the term "strong swimmer" is so subjective as to be useless. I suggest the the diver not get hung up on semantics. Unless there is some objective basis for these standards and unless the instructor understands the physiological basis of the standards, getting hung up on categories is really counterproductive.

Luckily, everyone can improve. If you want to be a better swimmer, you can practice on your own. Lots of people I know swim back and forth in a pool with fins to stay in shape for diving (I do for breath-hold diving and finswimming). If your stroke is poor, hire a swim coach for a couple of hours or find a stroke clinic. The improvement could be remarkable. There is probably a masters swim group near you. Masters means "over 18" not "all fast swimmers". Masters workouts are divided into lanes from slow to very fast swimmers and everything is quite compatible with whatever level you are.

Try and learn your different Survival strokes.
Side http://lifesavingclub.com/lifesavers/survival-swimming/basic-swim-strokes/sidestroke.html
Breast http://lifesavingclub.com/lifesavers/survival-swimming/basic-swim-strokes/breaststroke.html
Back http://lifesavingclub.com/lifesavers/survival-swimming/basic-swim-strokes/backstroke.html

These will get you through the water and save a good bit of energy. These are all taught to Marines in Paris Island to teach us how to swim with a pack, Rifle and full Camo. They work much better in swim gear.

These should get you through the requirements if you practice them. You aren't required to "Butterfly" the 200m :)

::Edit::
The Burning Oil and Disembark techniques will be taught in later lessons if you like :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom