What is Blackwater Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Link doesn’t work for me

I’m not sure which can claim it first, but I’ve always considered “black water diving” to be the no vis diving of the tanic “black water” rivers such as the Cooper River in SC. The relatively newer fashion of night diving in deep / blue water to me is just that, night diving.

@calevans

Link not working

Link doesn’t work for me

I’m not sure which can claim it first, but I’ve always considered “black water diving” to be the no vis diving of the tanic “black water” rivers such as the Cooper River in SC. The relatively newer fashion of night diving in deep / blue water to me is just that, night diving.
That’s what one would think, but I think it a new thing - a night dive in good viz where no lights are used.

I just updated my "What is Blackwater Diving" (What is blackwater diving? -) article with some pictures from my friend Lawrence.

From article:
Some divers never descend more than 10 feet below the surface. Other divers explore the 30-60 foot strata. A few divers with the appropriate certification may explore the 60-100 foot strata.

I’m a relatively inexperienced blackwater diver, but I do have a couple of thoughts on the article:

Blackwater photo dives tend not to be buddy dives. Multiple divers with spotting lights in the same area make it even tougher to find and properly light subjects. Given this and the lack of a hard bottom above recreational depth limits (typically 500’+), it’s not an ideal environment for new divers. Redundancy might be a good choice depending on your comfort level with being away from other divers.

The quote above from the article implies that AOW depths (60-100’) aren’t typical on blackwater dives, but the majority of folks I’ve seen on SE Florida BW trips spend at least part (most?) of their time at those depths. Local trips here are 90-120 minutes at recreational depths, only other hard rule is stay out of deco.

For equipment, I’d recommend a few additional items. A hood isn’t required, but it keeps the little critters who are attracted to lights out of your ears at shallow depths. Similarly, a full suit or skin will prevent stings from the jellies and other stuff you don’t see.

A big magnifying glass is a great alternative to a camera if you don’t already have a rig. A PLB or similar signaling device is cheap insurance, since you might end up drifting at night several miles offshore if the boat has engine trouble. A strobe or light with strobe mode is a good idea too.

For lights, a narrow spot beam is good for locating subjects at a distance and you’ll likely want a red beam for pickup at the end of the dive. Something like the FixNeo SWR does both plus it has a wide flood mode.

Still figuring it out, but here are a few amateur BW pics:

Lance

I’m a relatively inexperienced blackwater diver, but I do have a couple of thoughts on the article:

Blackwater photo dives tend not to be buddy dives. Multiple divers with spotting lights in the same area make it even tougher to find and properly light subjects. Given this and the lack of a hard bottom above recreational depth limits (typically 500’+), it’s not an ideal environment for new divers. Redundancy might be a good choice depending on your comfort level with being away from other divers.

The quote above from the article implies that AOW depths (60-100’) aren’t typical on blackwater dives, but the majority of folks I’ve seen on SE Florida BW trips spend at least part (most?) of their time at those depths. Local trips here are 90-120 minutes at recreational depths, only other hard rule is stay out of deco.

For equipment, I’d recommend a few additional items. A hood isn’t required, but it keeps the little critters who are attracted to lights out of your ears at shallow depths. Similarly, a full suit or skin will prevent stings from the jellies and other stuff you don’t see.

A big magnifying glass is a great alternative to a camera if you don’t already have a rig. A PLB or similar signaling device is cheap insurance, since you might end up drifting at night several miles offshore if the boat has engine trouble. A strobe or light with strobe mode is a good idea too.

For lights, a narrow spot beam is good for locating subjects at a distance and you’ll likely want a red beam for pickup at the end of the dive. Something like the FixNeo SWR does both plus it has a wide flood mode.

Still figuring it out, but here are a few amateur BW pics:

Lance
Concur with the depths. The one we did out of Florida think we averaged 20ft, and went 2 hours. I don’t even have a camera and it was enjoyable:)

Hi Lance!

First, the pictures are stunning. Well done!

The article was written based on interviews I did with a few people in our local dive community that regularly do blackwater dives. I've not done one yet but that will change tonight. :)

One of the people I interviewed was an instructor that works on a boat that runs them. She said that the depth ranges from as shallow as 10' to as deep as 80-90'. Apparently, there is different life in different strata. Of the people I interviewed, there was no consensus on the "average" depth, it really depended on what they were trying to do.

As for the magnifying glass, yes, she said the boat provides those for divers not wanting to do photography. I'm going to carry my little TG-6 but I'll probably stick with the magnifying glass for my first dive.

I'm worried because I don't have a red light. I carry 2 Big Blue 1300's but they are only white. May need to swing by the local dive center and see if I can get a red one or a red filter.

Thanks for the equipment ideas. I was on the fence about a wetsuit since we've hit warm water weather but I think I might wear it tonight.

Cheers!
=C=

Link doesn’t work for me

I wonder what you call night diving with 2-5ft vis....
That is quite challenging to keep track of buddies and your navigation,
Often if you are behind your buddy often you can't even see his light, the silt absorbs the light.
And sometimes it's better that only one light is on, because someone gets there night vision back. In fact
I will often I will dive 50% of the dive with my light off, relying on the little bit of others lights.
And yes you are solo diving, even if your buddy is right beside you.

Night diving in clear water must be easy.

I wonder what you call night diving with 2-5ft vis....
An aborted dive. :)

No seriously though I've never heard of a term specifically for night diving in those conditions. Locally we just call that kind of viz "muck diving". I'm pretty sure that's not a PADI-sanctioned term, but it's what we say down here. :)

Cheers!
=C=

Back
Top Bottom