What is better on a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have a front zip and don't know what drawbacks there could be.

a drawback of a shoulder zip is that you need someone to open/close it for you.

Shoulder zip = less expensive

Front zip = less aggravation if you have to pee really bad, you don't have a p-valve and your buddies have a questionable sense of humor.

All I know is I can don my front across the shoulder zip drysuit myself.
Whites Catalyst

Across the back Pros:

1. An across the back zippered suit can be cut shorter in the torso as you do not need the extra lenght to don the suit. taht can make the suit more streamlined in the water and eliminates the need for a telescoping toso and crotch strap.

2. Less expensive

3. you can open and close them yourself but it takes some skill, pre-planning and a 3 ft gear line.

Across the back cons:

1. The across the back zip can however be a bit stiff and restrictive in terms of some arm movements.

2. Harder to zip and unzip yourself.

Diagonal front zip pros:

1. easier to zip and unzip yourself

Diagonal front zip cons:

1. More expensive

2. Requires a longer torso.

3. tends to wear a bit more where the straps cross it - many suits have a cover or zipper guard over it.

Whites however uses the same zipper Andies used on some of their front zip suits. It starts on one shoulder, dips down under the inlet valve and then runs back up to the other shoudrer. When you un zip it the whole top basically peels back so it is very easy to get into and out of, can be zipped easily by yourself and avoids the need to have a lenghtened torso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom