What ipod adapter for car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, anyone have a car adapter for their ipod? Would you recommend it? A link or place where you bought it? Thank you.

I've got one for an e46 made by these guys: http://densionusa.com/
It integrates into my stock sound system and allows me to use the steering wheel controls with the iPod. I love it.

Any other suggestions?

I opted for the cassette option. I like the FM idea, but to many reviewers were having trouble getting a good lock on the signal. I went with the Sony Cassette Adapter and have been very satisfied.

I think the next accessory that is in the works will be the Belkin Autokit. It has a charger and a amplifier for the cassette adapter as well. Not necessary, but nice on long trips.

Don't know if you know about it, but check out ILonge! A great site with ALL KINDS of reviews and information on it!!

I've been thinking about this too.

My sister has an FM transmitter and I don't really care for the sound quality.

I'd like to get one that integrates into my factory installed stereo - I just have to find someplace (like Best Buy or Circuit City) that sells and installs them. Haven't done much research into these yet.

I've heard that the cassette adaptor works pretty well and is a very inexpensive option. I'll probably go with this option at first while I determine which integrating one to get.

With FM transmitters, the quality varies greatly from model to model. I tried one from Digidock - poor sound quality and limited number of frequencies to transmit on. I am now using a Chronos model and it is much better. Though you can still hear some "digital" noise if you listen carefully. It is also affected by the local radio stations in the areas you drive through.

If you have the option of plugging in via an auxiliary input - do so. If, like me, you do not, the FM transmitter is the only option.

Hope you get a solution you are happy with!

Cheers,

Andrew

Ok, an update. Finally got the Nano, and after some issues with a couple of computers and iTunes, successfully managed to get my CDs imported.

Saw the Monster iPlay cassette adaptor at the store while getting the Nano - thought I'd try it out and get a cheap temporary solution until I decide on what I'm going to integrate into my car stereo. And to be honest, if the cassette adaptor worked well, I'd indefinitely put off spending a few hundred bucks to integrate my stereo.

Report on the Monster iPlay cassette adaptor - a piece of $%#@@*&!!!!@ crap. Doesn't even work at all. Goes in, I can hear a hissing, crackling noise, but nothing from the Nano itself. Tried popping in a regular cassette - that works fine. Tried it on another car - still nothing. Now I've got to go back to the store to return the piece of crap.

After spending a good amount of time importing all my CDs to the Nano this weekend, I'm a bit frustrated not to be able to play it in my car.

Ok, so they don't have one for the Nano yet, but I absolutely adore my Podfreq. Yes, it is more expensive, but totally worth it for me, plus it's still way less than an integrated car system. I have to search for a new station way less and the sound quality is more. Love the freq!

www.podfreq.com

i have the fairly clunky belkin car adapter that is short range fm and charges. i got tired of having to change channels when i was driving longer distances (and the slight fuzziness, especially of bass), and put in a new stereo from best buy with a front pluggy to the ipod. i still use the belkin to charge it while we drive along. the fm doesn't interfere with anything since it's plugged directly and the stereo is set to 'aux'.

love love love the ipod.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom