What if

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated above the truth will come out. This is a large world but the military is a small place. It always seems that no matter where you go you will run into someone that you know or that has a common friend. IF this person is lying his/her time will come and they will mess up and say something that is reconized as being false.

Stevead, thank you for your second post because I didn't like one of the statements in the first one... As we all know, ALMOST everyone who has put on any military uniform would be offended by someone like this (except for those who were kicked out for being false). We have all paid our dues and sacraficed our own emotions and family ties to support our countries and do not want those who have not to claim the same. I have been serving for 13 years and I have 4 brothers who served before me and a nephew currently in Iraq and I do not want any of our honor to be tarnished by a wanna be.... BLANKET PARTY!!!!! Just kidding... This is only my 2 cents..

I wouldn't be surprised if there are any posers within our little community on here but as stated before, they will be found out. After seeing on the news how police had to protect the property of tornado victims from being looted, not much surprises me as to some people just having no shame. If indeed it is proven that the individual in question is not a member of any armed forces or ever was then it is up to the Mods to deal with that person. We all feel strongly about the significance of our service but we must also remember we provided the poser with the freedom to be a classless and shameful waste of good oxygen. Although very upsetting, I personally do not let the actions of a few wanna-be's diminish my contributions to freedom or service to my country.

As stated above the truth will come out. This is a large world but the military is a small place. It always seems that no matter where you go you will run into someone that you know or that has a common friend. IF this person is lying his/her time will come and they will mess up and say something that is reconized as being false.

Stevead, thank you for your second post because I didn't like one of the statements in the first one... As we all know, ALMOST everyone who has put on any military uniform would be offended by someone like this (except for those who were kicked out for being false). We have all paid our dues and sacraficed our own emotions and family ties to support our countries and do not want those who have not to claim the same. I have been serving for 13 years and I have 4 brothers who served before me and a nephew currently in Iraq and I do not want any of our honor to be tarnished by a wanna be.... BLANKET PARTY!!!!! Just kidding... This is only my 2 cents..

You probably didn't like the "who does it hurt? " right?

Well I say again, who does it hurt?

I did one hitch in the army 88-91. Did a year of that in Saudi for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Somebody making false claims doesn't hurt me. I would certainly help them to embarrass themself, with the basic training, MOS, unit, and any other questions that only a real veteran will be able to answer.

But I am not hurt by Idiots, I laugh at them.

To butcher a great quote:

He may be an *******, but I will fight to the death to defend his right to be an *******.

You probably didn't like the "who does it hurt? " right?

Well I say again, who does it hurt?

I did one hitch in the army 88-91. Did a year of that in Saudi for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Somebody making false claims doesn't hurt me. I would certainly help them to embarrass themself, with the basic training, MOS, unit, and any other questions that only a real veteran will be able to answer.

But I am not hurt by Idiots, I laugh at them.

To butcher a great quote:

He may be an *******, but I will fight to the death to defend his right to be an *******.

You are right, it does not hurt anyone per say and I can also laugh at them (but also want to bop them in the head). But believe it our not it would probably "hurt" those who have loved ones in the military or who have lost loved ones in the military (example is Kiaran who started this thread). They are the ones that are more protective over this then some of us who are serving or have served. And a great point by yourself and 2Tours N Iraq, we fight to defend their rights to be who they are....
Also I would like to thank you both (along with others in this part of the forum) for your sacrifices that you make and have made. I salute you! STAY SAFE!

Kiaran,

We run into them all the time. Now that it's long past and gone, it's kinda "cool" to be a Viet Nam veteran. Posers are popping up all over the place.

If you're ever engaging in a thread wherein the poser is active, just ask questions such as:

Where did you take your basic training
What was your class number
What was your MOS (or specialty, rating or whatever)
Where did you serve and what years
What outfit did you serve with

If they say they can't remember or "it's classified" the probability is extremely good that the person is a poser.

Just know them for what they are, liars, cheats, and in my opinion, cowards.

the K

a while back there was a looser that was outed by the SB regulars.... this guy had his story down pat, myspace full of his stories of gallant rescues and medals but he had very poor photoshop skills. I think it was Diver Dennis that was the first to spot him

i was glad to see the guy outed - he was an embarrassment to those that have served and those that have lost family/friends during their service

i wouldnt make it my mission to stalk the guy (plus cyber stalking is bad, m'kay) to catch him out but Mr K's advise above is ideal

If you knew for sure, and if it were a context where it was material, you might need to say something. But you're not sure, & in this situation it isn't material, so I suggest moving on.
I'm not downplaying the offensiveness of jerks & posers, especially fake ex-vets while we're a country at war, but if you let them get to you, you'll be the one who goes nuts. Pick the battles worth fighting & focus your energy where it makes the most difference. don F.

I did see that guy almity. I went to a military website and when they found out he was an impostor, they really went after him. He had profiles up on a number of military boards and they had him kicked off all of them. I can give you the website through PM, Dandy Don was on their site as well since he served. There were a few military folks who joined SB as well.

I feel the same way as almity, I just couldn't let this other guy get away with it.

Im not a marine. Im army, Infantry, ammunition and EOD training (so this is my views based on being a landcrab during my service).

Yes, it does suck that people pose to be something they are not. However, Im past the point of taking offense of it as Its a waste of my time.

At the same time you americans should be glad its "cool" to have served cause around here youre more likely to be ridiculed than anything else, especially if you went to intops and didnt do it only for the money. It seems like the US has a lot more respect for people who serve in the military, law enforcement, fire departements and so on than people do around here..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom