What I just learned about Laotian food.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
i'd associate this with vietnamese quisine...i usually dab some on soup dishes & grilled pork...yummy :D

Sri Racha sauce actually originated in Thailand—I’ve seen the Vietnamese bottled “Sri Racha” (they are quite common in the US); I guess some enterprising people stole the idea from us after seeing that we were too dumb to register/copyright the name :D

FWIW, it wasn't Sriracha hot sauce. I actually like that stuff.

This was a gallon glass jar full of ground up peppers (it was all red and I could see the seeds). I'm not sure exactly what was in it, but I ate it Saturday for lunch, and this morning (Monday), I'm just starting to feel human again. :cool:

Terry

Vie:
Sri Racha sauce actually originated in Thailand—I’ve seen the Vietnamese bottled “Sri Racha” (they are quite common in the US); I guess some enterprising people stole the idea from us after seeing that we were to dumb to register/copyright the name :D

Web Monkey:

This was a gallon glass jar full of ground up peppers (it was all red and I could see the seeds). I'm not sure exactly what was in it, but I ate it Saturday for lunch, and this morning (Monday), I'm just starting to feel human again. :cool:

Terry
That sounds like nam bpla prik, which is great for curing hangovers :wink:

Come to Thailand, where anything not hot enough to melt your reg's mouthpiece is considered just sweet.

http://importfood.com/recipes/tablecondiments.html

That looks like it.

I'll have to go back and ask, just so I know what not to get next time. I've eaten a lot of hot stuff, and a lot of painful stuff, but I've never eaten anything that hurt continously, all the way through me.

That was just brutal. I was actually considering going to the ER if it didn't quiet down.

Happily, everything is OK today (had soup for lunch, and nothing hurts, so I guess there was no permanent damage) :cool:

Terry

MoonWrasse:
That sounds like nam bpla prik, which is great for curing hangovers :wink:

Come to Thailand, where anything not hot enough to melt your reg's mouthpiece is considered just sweet.

http://importfood.com/recipes/tablecondiments.html

BabyDuck:
louie, look in an asian grocery. my ex shopped there so much the ladies thought he had a philapina wife! imagine their surprise when the whitest girl in the world would also go in with him!

So Asian foods and condiments haven't become part of daily cuisine in your part of North America? It's funny when store employees get the "unexpected" customers (like the time I asked a West Indian shop clerk if they had any ackee).

I'll have a good look round my local Asian mega-supermarket. How ironic, with all these lovely food accompaniments from SE Asia, when I lived in Thailand, many of the locals were crazy about Japanese Mayonnaise (the bland variety one with loads of MSG).

Web Monkey:

That sounds a bit like Scotch Bonnets, also known as habaneras, which are commonly regarded as the hottest peppers on the face of the Earth. But those are mostly found in the Caribbean. My personal bane are szechuan peppers, which I try to avoid like the plague...:flame:

Web Monkey:

Terry

Hmm, the description sounded like the sweet chilli sauce here: http://importfood.com/samp1001.html

however if Sri Racha did not bother you, this sauce is much gentler, chilli, vinegar, loads of sugar etc.
Nam Pla Prik is not read. It is more like coke with lots of fresh chilli float in it.

I have no idea what it was, except that it was hot and made with peppers.

I love Tabasco, and X-hot chicken wings and horseradish and all sorts of hot sauces, but this wasn't even from the same planet. I've never eaten anything that burned going in, out and all the way through.

Terry

ssra30:
Hmm, the description sounded like the sweet chilli sauce here: http://importfood.com/samp1001.html

however if Sri Racha did not bother you, this sauce is much gentler, chilli, vinegar, loads of sugar etc.
Nam Pla Prik is not read. It is more like coke with lots of fresh chilli float in it.
`ni1`

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom