What hose lenth for bungeed octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently in the decision stage of going to the long primary with bungeed octo set-up. And I was just curious, what length hose should I have for my octo if I am using a single tank only?

Also I cant seem to find any pics/instructions for tying up the bungee to the octo.... anyone know where I could find that?

For most normal sized people (whatever that means), a 22" hose for the backup 2nd stage is adequate. Definitely nothing beyond 24" though.

Lots of DIR equipment related information is available in 5thd-x's website. For regulators, go to:
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/regulators.html

You can see all of the equipment articles there by going to:
http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

Click on the "Learning Center" link in the navigation area on the left. You will then get a set of links for a variety of articles related to equipment.

Oh, and most importantly, sign up for a fundies class.

dhampton82:
I am currently in the decision stage of going to the long primary with bungeed octo set-up. And I was just curious, what length hose should I have for my octo if I am using a single tank only?
Are you talking about the bungee length, or the LP hose length? LP hose for a single should be 22".

The octo "bungee" is actually elastic shock cord, not true bungee hose. It needs to be short enough that the second stage rests just under your chin. You should still be able to touch your chin to your chest, but just barely.

dhampton82:
Also I cant seem to find any pics/instructions for tying up the bungee to the octo.... anyone know where I could find that?
The shock cord ends are knotted, and the cord is secured in place using the same zip-tie that holds the mouthpiece. Here's an "old school" pic that shows how to attach it:

Click on the image for a larger picture

Ignore the fact that it is bungee - use shock cord instead as mentioned above.

DIR-Atlanta:
Are you talking about the bungee length, or the LP hose length? LP hose for a single should be 22"".

The octo "bungee" is actually elastic shock cord, not true bungee hose. It needs to be short enough that the second stage rests just under your chin. You should still be able to touch your chin to your chest, but just barely.

The shock cord ends are knotted, and the cord is secured in place using the same zip-tie that holds the mouthpiece. Here's an "old school" pic that shows how to attach it:

Click on the image for a larger picture

Ignore the fact that it is bungee - use shock cord instead as mentioned above.

Atlanta, could you point me to something explaining the rationale for using shock cord and not true bungee (which is what I've been using)? Thanks.

DIR-Atlanta:
Are you talking about the bungee length, or the LP hose length?

I was refering to the LP hose length.

Adoboo, Thanks for the links, that is the site I have been looking for for the last 2 hours!!:shakehead

I need 24" on doubles with dive-rite or salvo regs. with one of the scubapro regs with side hose routing option, or on a single rig, I could get away with 22".

Depending on the first stage. I am using a 22 inch on SP Mk25 and 24 inch for Apeks 100......

hoosier:
Depending on the first stage.

Exactly. I use 22" for Apeks (single tank setup), 24" for Apeks (doubles setup). I can get away with 20" for Scubapro MK20/25 (for both single and doubles setup).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom