What has changed in the Scuba industry in the last 10-15 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins aren't trendy anymore.

The laws of physics have been rescinded so weight in a side mount rig isn't affected by gravity.

Scooters can cost as much as a small car.

Travel emitting tons of hydrocarbons and responsible for plastics filling the oceans is considered environmentally responsible eco- tourism.

Much as before 50 dives and a pieces of cloth are sufficient to confer the title master on any given bottom bouncing, coral grabbing goon.

I may have a few more.

One big thing that has changed is the amount of resources available to the diver. Places like Scubaboard and others can be a great resource for someone just getting into the sport.

When I was first certified, there really wasn't much out there for the diver just getting into the sport as far as resources go. When a new diver was getting ready to start buying gear, they really had no clue what was out there. Most just had the recommendation of the LDS that certified them. Surprisingly, the best gear for them happened to be hanging in the shop at the moment, and it was the right size, too.

Of course, they could read reviews in the Scuba magazines, but it was tough to find a review that wasn't positive. Never mind the full page ad on the next page, I'm sure that had nothing to do with the amount of praise in the review.

Today, there are plenty of resources available for the diver that's willing to seek out information. Sure, they can still go in blind and trust their LDS that the Limited Edition Atomic T25 is the only regulator you can trust, and since you are getting an Atomic regulator, you have to pair that with an Atomic BC2 (or BC1). After all, what's your life worth? Or they can do a bit of research and spend far less on gear that is just as good.

Good thread. Lots of insight. Thanks!

Is holding onto your dive buddy in a drift dive best?
My first drift dive my buddy was holding onto me and I had an even worse time with my buoyancy.
That and his BC dropped a weight at 40ft and we both went for a ride back up without a safety stop.
Generally no, most people don't hold onto their buddy during drift dives unless some extenuating circumstances warrant that (during a share-air situation, etc.). But both buddies need to be aware and stay close -- if one stops on a dime to look at a fish, the other can go sailing past pretty quickly.

If they don't have a waist mounted battery cannister then they'll stick a plastic rod or long lead weight on the right waist strap just to have something to hold the long hose down in place.

Or a cutting instrument which tends to be more useful. It does not have to be on the right waist strap.

11.) The recent closing of Guadalupe, Mexico as a great white shark cage diving destination is big, as it was pretty much the only game in town in the larger region. I never made it there.

You can still do it in Port Lincoln, Australia.

Back
Top Bottom