What has been happening in Kingston/Picton??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an interesting piece of an email thaat passed by me....

Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: Avro

> Photo 1 shows on the right hand side where the model Avros plowed into the
> lake borrom at over 1,089 mph. As the model plowed along the bottom it
> slowed down and the skid mark gets smaller. Photo 2 shows at the end of
> this skid mark an outline which looks like a side of a delta wing plane in
> accordance with the outline of an arrow. The black line at the back is
> where the one wing section touched the bottom and plowed along goughing
the
> bottom until the whole plane slowed down and just dropped unto the lake
> bottom. The one side is partially covered

If I was a Kingston or Picton local diver I would say nothing to Clive Cussler or his buddys
They come into a area like that, bull-poop the locals because they are "famous", find out any wreck secrets from anyone willing to talk. Then take all the credit, say look what we found, and produce a TV show or write a book and the poor local bastard who spent years and time and money finding and studying old shipwrecks get NOTHING. Not even a mention in the credits.

The worst part is that people believe that a guy like that can come into a area and search for 2 or 3 weeks and find something that locals have been looking for years for. "Dumb local hick divers"

Musselweenie once bubbled...

> Photo 1 shows on the right hand side where the model Avros plowed into the
> lake bottom at over 1,089 mph. As the model plowed along the bottom it
> slowed down and the skid mark gets smaller. Photo 2 shows at the end of
> this skid mark an outline which looks like a side of a delta wing plane in
> accordance with the outline of an arrow. The black line at the back is
> where the one wing section touched the bottom and plowed along gouging
the
> bottom until the whole plane slowed down and just dropped unto the lake
> bottom. The one side is partially covered

I think you missed putting a photo in!
From info I've heard and seen, that is the booster rocket not the Avro.
1,089 mph????? on the bottom!!! in water!!! "amazing"

But then................ Check my signature line. "one man's opinion"...

NewbieDiver

obviously you know very little about the Sea Hunters.

in all of the shows, they picture them interviewing locals for info, doing 100's of hours of research, etc. It is known that they use this info with LOTS of research and some technical toys to find these wrecks.

to add to that. it is not a few weeks, they say right int he shows that some of these wrecks have taken years of both research and diving. they ofter have to come back several years in a row. they just package it up in a nice tv show for us to watch. but is you pay attention you would already know this.

This is why it works. They have Cussler who has the bucks and the interest. They have a Dive co-ordinator, a historian and an archaeologist. Plus numerous support people.They each do thier part and when you put that together... shazam.. you find wrecks.

The local diving guys probably don't have all that expertise and usually don't work together well. ergo, no team work no specialized research. no wrecks. Most people want to be the one guy and not share anything.

oh yeah. and if others found the wrecks, and they were taking all the glorry saying that they found it. I don't think that they would be respected by the media or such people as national Geo.

for instance check out the atlantic. Mike Fletcher found it in 1984 and they did a show on him and how he found it and they even made him a member of SH because he has the right attitude towards the wrecks and history.

Perhaps you need to have a better idea about how they do their work before you comment.

Check out SeaHunters.net and look at their latest project where they show in the photo gallery tonnes of pics on the head of the project (who is not a sea hunter) and they show lots of photos of forign divers doing the work. They are just there to tell the story.

Musselweenie once bubbled...

>

CHeck out the date folks. This came from the future. Or from someone across the international dateline....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom