What hardest thing to overcome as a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4.) not panicking in 0 viz environments. I did my AOW at a place called Hague Quarry down in Kankakee IL. The viz there is TOTAL CRAP. I cant understand why people dive there. But I saw several people have panic issues due to the Viz

First it's Haigh Quarry not Hague just for clarification. Second I gone diving there many times and the visibility is rarely as poor as it was this past weekend (when I'm assuming you were there) unless it is the middle of August and the algae is in full bloom. The poor visibility was largely attributed to the large number of student divers present (at least on Sunday when I was there) who tend to stir up the sediment on the bottom and turn visibility to crap. Just a week before we had 30 foot visibility.

First it's Haigh Quarry not Hague just for clarification. Second I gone diving there many times and the visibility is rarely as poor as it was this past weekend (when I'm assuming you were there) unless it is the middle of August and the algae is in full bloom. The poor visibility was largely attributed to the large number of student divers present (at least on Sunday when I was there) who tend to stir up the sediment on the bottom and turn visibility to crap. Just a week before we had 30 foot visibility.

I was there both sat and sun this past weekend. Sunday was by far the worse of the 2 days.

I was there both sat and sun this past weekend. Sunday was by far the worse of the 2 days.

I will agree with you, this past Sunday visibility was pretty awful especially on the north side where the training platforms are. Tried going deep and it was better, around 15 to 20 foot visibility on the SS Flamingo. I've never been to Deep Hole and never want to go!

I don't mind low viz but the worse it is the less chance I have of finding a shell. I've dived in 1 foot viz--so be it. Must say though, I don't like 0 viz and end the dive. No point continuing, but I admit I find it eerie. I also get a little leery going in for a swim at a beach when I approach water over my head, or even chest high. Unexplainable. No problem if I have fins on and snorkeled in deeper water 40 years. Also no heebee jeebees at all when deep diving to 100' or more. Just one of those things. Being in water over my head without fins takes away some of my control. Yes, I am a very good swimmer. But I could get caught in rip current or other current. Same lack of control in 0 viz diving I guess.

1. Bouyancy
2. Weight adjustment depending on the suit I was wearing

Those were the two things for me, plus getting used to getting in and out of the boat with a small ladder or deck plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom