What happened in Orange Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any information about the diving accident on the Down Under Dive Boat on Sunday 9/3/06? We were diving out of Orange Beach and heard the calls between Down Under Dive Boat and the Coast Guard stating that they had an unresponsive diver on board. We waited in the pass and saw the diver removed from the boat and put into the chopper. Just wondering if anyone knows if she is okay?

Thanks

Haven't heard anything about it, did see their boat go out on Monday though. Interested in the events as well.

I haven’t heard a word either. And I’ve been in the waffle house every morning for coffee usually if anything happened on Pleasure Island these guys has the gossip and of course how they would have done it different. Which is not to say their not keeping it under their hats Tourist season you know. I’ll check with RJ tomorrow I should see him early morning

an 82 year old woman had a cardiac event. A dust off took her to Baptist in PNS. She had said that her doctor had "cleared" her to dive. OB Fire & Rescuse put an EMT aboard the Down Under outside of the pass.

Just got an update from DownUnder personnel and he said that the lady is fine. Beth, who is a Dive Master and Instructor for DownUnder saved the divers life. The lady passed out and her reg came out of her mouth. Beth got her to the surface and kept everything going until the EMT got there. Between Capt Dick and the dive masters, they had it well under control. Hats off the to the crew at DownUnder, they are total professionals. Beth is a hero!

w-t-f is an 82 old person doing diving who has "just been cleared" for diving? (makes it sound like she was a "new diver"). That's a pretty big step for someone that age.

On the other hand, you gotta give some credit to someone who is 82 and is still out there being active and doing something they want to do.

Thank goodness she's OK. Sounds like the boat crew reacted properly.

I've been out on Down Unders boat one time and I have to say that I was impressed with their safety. They did several good things saftey wise, including "tags" for each diver, roll call directly after the dive, and "triple head counts" of divers against the manifest. We had two divers come up down current from the tag line and ended up close to a mile downstream by the time we recovered all the other divers and could pull anchor. The captain stayed on watch for them on the upper deck with binoculars and constantly on the radio warning other boat traffic that he had two divers floating down current from them on the surface and asking boaters to be cautious.

The dive masters are all well trained and professional. Plus they are fun which is a hard balance to make.

I would like to take the praise one step further on the DU. On several occasions I had the opportunity to dive with some of their newly certified divers and on each occasion the divers were well groomed in safety pre dive training. To tell the truth they made us older divers look bad and we knew it

Getting back to the 82 year old I do have to take my hat off to her I hope to be half that active at that age. As far as diving with her I really don’t know if I could have stood it I would have been a bundle of nerves

What I understand is that she passed out during her safety stop. I got hand to her I hope Im diving when Im that age. Also I would like to say Orange Beach did a great job on getting the EMTs to the dive boat......I was working when the call came out and the response time was fast..........

The majority of the info on this thread is incorrect. The diver was 62 years old. She lost conciousness do to a seisure caused by a pre-existing medical condition her local physician and staff knew nothing about. The diver aspirated water and was resuscitated by crew while in route to meet EMS. She was treated for near drowning, released, and is in good health today. I see her every few months when she stops by to tell me about her latest adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom