What first stage can you use with Poseidon Odins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlmuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I posted earlier this week about regs I ended up buying two used Poseidon Odins second stage one for me and the other for the wife as they were reasonably priced I took them to my local dive shop to have them serviced and put on my first stages which one is a Tusa and the other is an Oceanic, the lady told me that I could only use them with Poseidon 1st stages as they run on higher pressure, Is she correct as it seemed she was only interested in selling me a whole Poseidon set up which is more than I can presently afford, I even asked If I could buy a 1st stage and she said no only the whole set up, I know if I search I can probably find a used 1st stage, but before I do I would like to know as I thought I could add them to any 1st stage, Thanks for any and all advice.

As long as you aren't expecting Poseidon performance in technical diving, most any medium to high performance 1st stage will do as long as you can set the IP to about 140 - 150 psig. You don't want to starve the Odin with a dropping IP as it could start to free flow. That is why I say medium to high performance 1st.

how would I know if my 1st stage are capable of the of the 140-150 psig? would I still be able to "sip the air" ??

No problem with the Odins / Jetstream with different 1st stages.
They have to have the proper Poseidon hose to act as a relief valve.
They have been commercially sold with Sherwood and Dive Rite 1st stages set at normal 140psi IP. (Sherwood Ultima and Dive Rite Jetstream)
One characteristic of Jetstreams, as betso points out, is their tendency to free flow at very low tank pressures (below 200psi).

Last edited:
I thought that was sorta a built in safety feature to let you know if you were getting low on air if you weren't paying attention to you gage.

You can but you have to use an opv on the 1st stage.

You can but you have to use an opv on the 1st stage.
I'm sorry but excuse my ignorance but what is an OPV? Thanks

By the way the dive shop tech called me and told me that I can't use the Odins on my 1st stage, so we talked an he basically told me that I can't use any thing but a Poseidon octo if I used a Poseidon 1st stage, But I am 99% positive when I took my scuba training back in 93 and in class they used another brand octo with it, I am beginning to wonder if I am being fed a line of crap or the tech is not real good or even I am just totally clueless LOL

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 03:23 PM ----------

OK Excuse my ignorance again I want to clarify that the tech at the dive shop said that the odin/Jetstream run at 175 psi and that's the reason why I have to have a Poseidon 1st stage, so I am trying to educate my in this matter and I discover on the net a Poseidon service manual for all the Poseidon products and I was looking at the specs for the 2nd stage the odin Jetstream runs at 145psi while the oceanair and the cyklon 5000 run at 181 and the cyklon 300 run at 175 and I am now totally confused.

OPV......over pressure valve (built into the hose of the Jetstream, give it a tug at the 2nd stage end and it will relieve the pressure).
There are 2 different Poseidon second stages the Jetstream (showerhead) and the Cyklon (hockey puck).
Ist stages are the 300 (unbalanced diaphragm) and 5000 (balanced diaphragm).
If the 1st stage is set to deliver 170 plus intermediate pressure then both 2nd stages should be Poseidons. If set at 140psi no problems mixing 2nd stages.
If you need reassurance about using your Jetstreams with non Poseidon 2nd stages do a search on Sherwood Ultima and Dive Rite Jetstream (these non Poseidon 1st stages were set to a normal 140psi).

OPV - Over Pressure (relief) Valve. Normally it's built into the hose.
It's mentioned in this ad: Poseidon Odin/Jetstream Regulator 3960 with reviews at scuba.com

My buddy hung an old - IDK the version but it was purchased new around 1982 - Jetstream/Odin off an Atomic B1 a few years ago. As an octo with a B1 2nd also. While it worked, it had to be detuned by a tech otherwise it would freeflow every time he entered the water. Sometimes after detuning it still did. It stopped when turned over and wasn't an issue during the dive.

IIRC he also needed a hose adapter fitting at the 1st stage end.

Why not just use a Poseidon 1st stage? Heck, I have an older one in perfect condition I will let go of cheap. I understand divers not liking the second stages (heavy, valve shut offs and turn ons underwater will get your attention, have to have special hoses etc) but I have never heard of someone not liking the 1 st stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom