What film speed do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Just wanted to know when you guys are doing digital u/w photos, what is your preferred film speed setting for macro or wide angle?

Thanks -

CS

Macro - 100
Wide Angle - depends on light but the default is 200, low light 400. I would go higher, but my camera (D200) does not do that well past 400.

That would depend on where in the world I am, if I am doing wreck or formations. With/Without strobes, or if I am using diopters with the macro lens... and what kind of picture I want.

I usually decide in this order:

Composition
Diopter/nodiopter
Strobe/noStrobe
Depth of field (F-value)
Shutterspeed
And then Iso.

Usually, macro with diopters and strobes are at 200-600 (Nikon D700)
Wideangle depends. In Norway it is Dark... very dark... So at least 800 for wrecks...

Hello:

Just wanted to know when you guys are doing digital u/w photos, what is your preferred film speed setting for macro or wide angle?

Thanks -

CS

That's a tough one to answer in isolation since so much depends on the camera you are using (different cameras may perform differently at the same ISOs), the lens setup you are using (lenses can have different aperatures plus the use of TCs can affect how much light you can get wide open), strength of strobes (or ambient light if not using strobes), and the subject you are shooting (subjects that can move fast may require higher shutter speeds which can potentially affect your background lighting if you are incorporating ambient light). However, based on my Nikon D3 setup with the 60mm micro f/2.8, twin Ikelite DS160 strobes, I generally shoot 200 ISO (the lowest it goes down to).

Hello:

Thanks -

CS

You cannot take digital photos with a film camera unless you scan them after development.

However, if you mean ISO (ASA) then I usually shoot at ISO 100.

N

Range ISO 100-200.....I mostly use 200 for close focus/ wide angle.. and if macro I try to use ISO 100

Most of the time I use ISO100-200 with a Nikon D700, but I accidentally set the camera to ISO 2200 and got a decent shot.

11262404836_a2ae23ede5_o.jpg

100-200, unless using a Nightsea light to shoot flourescent images - I use 800 or 1000 for those.

Generally, the lower, the better for ISO setting, which means an ISO of 100-200. But, if it comes to adjusting the exposure to get the shot in a limited time, I will boost the ISO often to 800.

A great feature of the nikon d7100 and I believe of other DSLR is to operate autoISO in manual
You set your max ISO and then the camera sets it based on shutter and aperture you choose
This is very useful for wide angle
For close shots and macro you should be pushing for your minimum ISO and let the strobes do their job
On my compact unfortunately the autoISO in manual is not available so in macro i shoot at the lowest ISO close focus 100 and the rest of shots in shutter priority with autoISO setting a max ISO of 400 or 800 depending on which camera I use
Generally higher ISO are more of an issue on small sensors however as you have plenty of depth of field you can shoot with wider apertures so all in all it's just a matter of determine what's the maximum ISO your camera still produces a decent image for your purposes

Back
Top Bottom