What factor is most important to *you* when you choose a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhukov

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been browsing scuba shopping sites for a long time, looking at all kinds of different dive computers, and trying to figure out what sets one apart over the other. My primary focus here is for recreational diving, which I would estimate makes up 99% of people who buy and use dive computers. I just spent about an hour making a spreadsheet of some dive computers and their features before giving up. Why did I give up? Well, there's just not really anything that separates the few entries I compared. Most all of them offer deco stops, safety stop timers, nitrox mode (50% being the most common), log books, PC interfaces, audible alarms, backlighting, user-replaceable CR2450 batteries, etc. etc. All this for about $200. My comparison also did not include air-integrated models FWIW.

Algorithm-wise there's not much variation either, with plain Haldanean or, more commonly, a RGBM-modified Haldanean model. You could make arguments for and against each model, but there's no doubt that each algorithm is very safe and there aren't any lawsuits flying around for unsafe algorithms.

That being said, I arbitrarily clicked on a computer that costs $700+, the Suunto Vyper Novo. I did not single it out; it just happened to be at the top of the page. What did it offer? A digital compass, EAN to 99%, and gas switching. It hardly seems worth it to spend $500 more for those features (unless you need them, of course).

It seems to me that the biggest factor which ought to influence the decision of most people is the clarity of the display. Being able to convey the information quickly and accurately is crucial; this is especially true at deeper depths where nitrogen narcosis could influence the diver.

I'd be curious to know what each of you guys thought the most important factor was that influenced you to buy your current computer.

Technical dive computer: being standardized with other tec divers, which means the Shearwater in my local area, to match deco schedules.

Recreational dive computer: wireless transmission that doesn't lose sync (I have an Aeris A300 CS).

DiveNav has this Dive Computer Training website that can help you do side-by-side comparisons and find computers suited to chosen criteria.

I don't think there's usually just one 'most important' factor, but a combination of them. More like 'What's critical, what's important, what's nice and what doesn't much matter?'

Richard.

For me, gotta have the basics; NDL, depth, dive time, handle nitrox, but most any dive computer will.

'Extras' I demand: Dive logging, download to PC capability, estimated air time remaining, air-integration (which in combo. with dive logging & download, logs my start & stop pressures & SAC for dives easily). I also demand a good user interface (e.g.: Cobalt 2) that's intuitive.

Important factor with varied options: Battery life. I prefer long battery life & rechargeable option without having to remove or replace the battery. I would consider a replaceable battery if it lasted a really long time. For reference, my backup dive computer is my old Oceanic Worldwide VT3, and I find changing the battery rather nerve wracking (I think some find it no big deal).

Whether it's wrist or combo. is of secondary importance. I currently dive with a Cobalt (now a Cobalt 2) console as my main dive computer, with the VT3 as a wrist unit backup.

Richard.

There are literally hundreds of threads on this exact topic, many in the last day or week.

My hard requirements are clear color screen, wireless air integration, 2 or more buttons and integrated digital compass.

Other considerations are, can the computer grow with your diving? For example, if you have any intentions of progressing toward deco and/or deep technical diving then things like nitrox to 100%, gas switching and trimix are important. Unfortunately, IMO, the perfect computer has still yet to be created.

I own the Mares Icon and if that computer ran Buhlman with user adjustable Gradient Factors and supported trimix it would be (again IMO) the perfect computer. I do plan to advance my diving, but I got it for a deal I couldn't resist and hopefully by the time I'm in need of a technical diving instrument someone will have created the perfect computer. Which is also something else to consider.

If you plan to stay within NDL open water depths of ~60 ft or less. I would buy the cheapest nitrox wrist computer available. Like the Mares Puck for $150.

Coming from a PSD perspective, I want something simple, easy to use, and easy to see due to the poor visibility we frequent. I also want a nice long lasting commonly found battery that I can replace myself. Heck, I want that as a rec diver too! We use our PSD gear when we rec dive, otherwise most of us couldn't afford to or just wouldn't dive recreationally. Any dive is training, even if its fun. :)

Our dept bought the very expensive Liquivision Kaon without me knowing anything much about it other than them showing me the screen. I've been certified for about 30 years but never used a computer before the Kaon. The view is awesome in the water and I can see it with near zero visibility. Unfortunately, it's hard to turn the thing on when I want to turn it on (three hard taps), but it will turn itself on as it is jostled around in my gear bag and I end up with a dead battery in a matter of days. Putting the accelerometer's sensitivity to low makes me have to knock the living crap out of it to turn it on and navigate the menus. We've started taking the batteries out of them, which just adds more time to get geared up. It does have an easy battery change, opening the compartment with a coin. Unfortunately, the batteries are made of unobtanium. They are very expensive and very hard to find outside of Liquivision's website. It has failed to start recording on entry a few times for us also.

We had planned to go with the Zoop on our next purchases, but it is now discontinued and it is only available in limited numbers. I love the idea that just a push of a button will put it into dive mode and the battery may last as long as 2 years. It uses a common watch battery that can be found in nearly any store. We aren't concerned with the "conservative algorithms" that people gripe about. Sadly, we will have to look at something else such as the Zoop Novo, Puck/Puck Pro, etc. I am looking forward to seeing the Deep 6 dive computer that is supposed to come out in August. The website shows it will sell for $139. If it starts recording automatically when we enter the water, it's a home run. At that price, we could outfit our divers with two each!

Back
Top Bottom