What drysuit undergarments are you wearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really need a material that retains warmth when wet.
No matter the topside temp, I'm always using a wool base layer if I'm diving dry. Wool is the material which best retains warmth when wet. Warm-ish water and a neo DS means not much more than the base layer, a shell suit and/or cooler water means I put on a Thinsulate undersuit as well.

Down doesn't insulate well when wet.
...to put it mildly.

After reading the responses and looking over some other scubaboard undergarment threads, Ive decided to by the 4th element Artic. I currently have hollis base layer and the 260 but its no way near warm enough fo me at 10°c ( around 50f i think).
Hopefully thatll do the job. I also got a 4th element 5mm hood. I was looking at the 7mm but the lady at the shop reckon she hets too hot in the 5.
Has anyone else used the 5mm with good results?

After reading the responses and looking over some other scubaboard undergarment threads, Ive decided to by the 4th element Artic. I currently have hollis base layer and the 260 but its no way near warm enough fo me at 10°c ( around 50f i think).
Hopefully thatll do the job. I also got a 4th element 5mm hood. I was looking at the 7mm but the lady at the shop reckon she hets too hot in the 5.

You lose a lot of heat through your head. I'd go with the thicker hood in 10C water (which is indeed 50F). I have read of an old Nordic saying: "To warm your feet, put on a hat."

I have a Scuba Force X-Nine undergarment. Similar to a Halo 3D but it was a couple hundred bucks less. Great balance between warmth, thickness, and flexibility.

In Florida where the water is always a comfy 72 in the springs. I wear cheap thermal undergarments for hiking, running, etc. Usually have a fleece inside. Also got a ton of thermal socks with 20% wool. Thinsulate and fancier materials are generally overkill down here (my humble opinion), especially for neoprene drysuits. Furthermore, many of the fancy drysuit undergarment brands are hugely overpriced if they are using the same materials you'd find in a Wal-Mart or whatnot (Hint: the major players often hide behind some name-branded version of polyester).

thong and pasties.

what?

I've been using on a regular basis the 4th element Arctic for 10 years or so, while diving dry (trilaminate). Water temp. around 12°, dive time between 40' and 120'. I'm not very sensitive to cold, and I'm usually fine. Only exceptions were at the end of long cave dives, where there's a mandatory 15' deco stop at the end, with no space enough to swim.

For colder dives, I add and under layer (that kind) it's better for warmth, but the drawback is you need more weight (1 to 2k more or less).

Protecting your head is also a good idea, so a 7 mil. hood (which I use) might be a good idea, and forget gloves. I've tried 3 fingered ones and hated them, I use either 3mil. or 5 mil. 5 fingered gloves. When I need a new pair I invest some time in choosing them, trying several pairs before making a decision (my hands are short, but large and thick). If a pair of glove doesn't fit well, you'll be butter fingers, and it can be awkward or truly dangerous while diving.

My 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom