What does it mean to you? To be a Veteran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there are evil people in the world and not all of them are "Them"!

Think long and hard when you vote for your country's leaders because the people you select will have the power to do many things both good and bad. It is not the fighting man who is at fault when he is sent into a conflict where he does not belong.

Being in the service is about sacrifice. You will be in more danger, get less pay and benefits and have far less power over your own life than those who never are at risk. After you have served they will cut your benefits and you will have no recourse.

Some of us serve and have served anyway.

I have referred people to the poem below when asked that question before...It is an Anonymous poem that I saw printed above the reception hall at Ft Stewart. It was labeled "A Soldier's Lament"

I WAS THAT WHICH OTHERS DID NOT WANT TO BE.
I WENT WHERE OTHERS FEARED TO GO,
AND DID WHAT OTHERS FAILED TO DO.
I ASKED NOTHING FROM THOSE WHO GAVE NOTHING,
AND RELUCTANTLY ACCEPTED THE THOUGHT OF
ETERNAL LONELINESS ...SHOULD I FAIL.
I HAVE SEEN THE FACE OF TERROR;
FELT THE STINGING COLD Of FEAR;
AND ENJOYED THE SWEET TASTE Of A MOMENTS LOVE.
I HAVE CRIED, PAINED, AND HOPED ...BUT MOST OF ALL,
I HAVE LIVED TIMES OTHERS WOULD SAY WERE BEST FORGOTTEN.
AT LEAST SOMEDAY I WILL BE ABLE TO SAY THAT I WAS PROUD OF

WHAT I WAS...

A SOLDIER

Veterans Day should be a Federally mandated, automatic holiday for those who served.

They earned it.

PhotoTJ:
Veterans Day should be a Federally mandated, automatic holiday for those who served.

They earned it.

I agree. in the service we never got the day off.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph, is that good men do nothing!

Once you have been at the sharp end and have "seen the elephant" as the Brits are wont to say, you know things about yourself, and others, that those who have not done so will never know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom