What does it mean to you? To be a Veteran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
An interesting question for you combat veterans out there . . .

I've been invited to speak at the annual veterans day program at a local high school. One of the questions put to me by the young man who extended the invitation is, "What does being a veteran mean to you?".

I thought this was a very intriguing and seldom asked question.

I've developed my thoughts upon the topic, but what do YOU think.

I'd like to represent more of a cross section of veterans to respond to this question.

If you'd like, would you tell me in one or two sentences what being a veteran means to you?

God bless ya . . .

the K

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know." (anon)
I think this quote embodies the essense of "combat veteran," including the special bond between those who have fought together. There is an unfathomable additional value to all of life others can't ever gain; despite the protestations of elite thinkers, the raw truth remains that there are evil people in the world who would enslave us all... that "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (attributed to George Orwell) Having been nose-to-nose with those who would do us harm is perhaps the greatest thing one can have done for his/her progeny.

Rick

Thanks, Rick . . .

the K

The Kraken:
If you'd like, would you tell me in one or two sentences what being a veteran means to you?

God bless ya . . .

the K

K: The current Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Mike Hagee, is a classmate from days @ Quantico, VA. I attach his quote which sums up a lot of what I feel about being a combat veteran:

"We ask much of our servicemen and women and they make many sacrifices each and every day. They do not want to die. But they are willing to and I have been and always will be in awe of that fact. They are willing to give up everything they care about in life. Everything: the opportunity to live a full life; the opportunity to be a parent and raise a family; the opportunity to have friends; the opportunity to love and be loved.

They are willing to give up all of this, for what? They do if for one another and they do it for the simple sake of the duty. This is true honor. You cannot buy this type of devotion and we can never, ever take it for granted."

Rick Murchison:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know." (anon)
I think this quote embodies the essense of "combat veteran," including the special bond between those who have fought together. There is an unfathomable additional value to all of life others can't ever gain; despite the protestations of elite thinkers, the raw truth remains that there are evil people in the world who would enslave us all... that "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (attributed to George Orwell) Having been nose-to-nose with those who would do us harm is perhaps the greatest thing one can have done for his/her progeny.

Rick

What he said.

As a non-veteran (4F), I thank all of you who have stood "in harm's way" to preserve for us the freedoms we too often take for granted.

Mike

I am proud to be a Vietnam Veteran. As you know Vietnam was a highly protested war. Many veterans were ridiculed upon return but I got great satisfaction in the fact that I did my part for a country that allows you the freedom to protest.

I think most of us are glad and proud that we contributed to the security of our country.

I will never be so alive as I was when I thought I might die, and recognizing the potential for death in a just cause, I was satisfied.

Thanks, my brothers . . .

the K

Obviously I am not a vet but I wanted to share something with you. As most of you know Matt (Ontario Diver) is/was a Governor Generals Horse Guard. The other day I was standing waiting for the bus and I saw a much older gentleman standing wearing a horse guard jacket. I worked my way through the crowd and introduced myself and asked him what years he had served from. You could see in his eyes that he was a little taken back from the attention and that someone would recognize the rampent unicorn of this proud regiment. I shook his hand and thanked him for all that he had done and we boarded the bus.

Once on the bus, he kept looking at me and asking me more and more about Matt and his time in the military. To be honest, I could have talked to this gentleman for hours. The stories he could have told me would have been amazing. His experiences nothing I could imagine.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a vet. I would hope there is alot of pride felt because there are alot of us out there who think the world of what you have and are doing. I am sure there is a sense of sadness for the people you have lost in the battle to keep us all free. There must be a sense of joy, when you come home and your families are there to greet you with more love then you though possible.

I know that this thread was for Vets, but I just wanted to say thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom