What do you want to see at a resort photo/video centre (center... :D )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the answers so far everyone. Some good ideas there!

But so far we have been hearing more from the photographers out there (i guess that might have to do with my title.. :) )

How about those who don't have a camera?

Do you like to see nightly slideshows or videos at the bar? Maybe twice a week?
Do you enjoy videos that the video person creates of you of your diving? Do you or would you go out of your way to get one made? or is it something you might buy if the video person just jumped on your boat?

HOw much are you willing to pay for a group video? a private one?

Thanks again

Mike

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Hottie photo pros!! :wink:

Oh and an editing station and plenty of plug ins would be nice!
got the hottie bit covered already..

:eyebrow:

Mike Veitch:
got the hottie bit covered already..

:eyebrow:

Really?? Who ya got working there now??? Simon? :wink:

mikerault:
Maybe a low pressure air hose or two for aid in drying....just a thought.

Mike

I NEVER used compressed air on my wet equipment. It's a good way to force water into button channels that would ordinarily not get wet. I use a foam towel that dries very well and leaves no residue.

I have seen a great range in photos/video taken by on board "pros".

From a 30 minute video that was a diary of the three day liveaboard for $75 that I thought was a great deal and have shown to many people. To a single "mug shot" for $20 on a cattle boat which I thought was a complete rip off so did not buy.

I have seen DVD's that were of marginal quality taken by crew on a boat, DVD collection of stills - reasonable quality.

My opinion was that unless the video/stills are of excellent quality I'm not interested. The $75 video was humourous, tracked the dives we all did, made sure that everyone on the boat was in frame both in the water and out, had some great shots of the stuff we saw (I suspect some of the more spectacular/unusual shots were not necessarily of the actual trip, but was all stuff we saw on the trip) and was well edited as it held together as a trip diary. If I just want photos buying a point and shoot camera or talking to other guests will get me that. If I am going to pay for pictures I want them to be more than just snapshots or clips strung together. If that is all I am getting then I really don't expect to pay much for them. Notwithstanding how much time the photographer took getting them.

As I am now taking my own pictures, but am a rank beginner, lessons, on shore/in water, guided dives to point out cool stuff, critique, stock of things to buy, friendly/knowledgeable staff. Had a long conversation at Cathy Church's shop with their staff re a lens I was considering. Convinced me that now was not the time, appreciated that approach.

Mike Veitch:
Thanks for all the answers so far everyone. Some good ideas there!

But so far we have been hearing more from the photographers out there (i guess that might have to do with my title.. :) )

How about those who don't have a camera?

Do you like to see nightly slideshows or videos at the bar? Maybe twice a week?
Do you enjoy videos that the video person creates of you of your diving? Do you or would you go out of your way to get one made? or is it something you might buy if the video person just jumped on your boat?

HOw much are you willing to pay for a group video? a private one?

Thanks again

Mike

I just bought one of these for the first time in Cozumel, and I love it!! The guy was just on the boat and got great shots of us and the marine life. We thought it would be cool, but we were amazed at the quality when we got the DVD back. He had about one hour (wow!) to get it edited and back to us before the cruise ship left Cozumel. Two couples went in on one disk - which was fine with him. The DVD was $60 so we spent $30 apiece. He figured, better to get one sale than none, and we didn't have enough cash for two disks....since we didn't know he was going to be part of the dive.

The guy was super sweet and the video was fantastic! I will treasure it, but I don't know that I'd spend $60 on a group video again....this was a first for us and we had never been diving down there...and we were on vacation, etc...

I am glad he joined us that day. The Dive Master took us through several swim-throughs, so the videographer was able to swim around and catch us coming out the other side....and stuff like that. Great close-ups of fish and things....great slo-mo shots of entry and decent.....really cool...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom