What do you guys think of this for first setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I vote BP/W, sealed diaphragm regs (read mk17/S600), simple pressuge gauge, bottom timer, and tables.

Aaron,
You did give any insight into the type of diving you intend to do, so I will not give specifics on the type of BC I think you should start with. Fit is the most important quality of a BC, and it should be tried on and used if possible before a decision is made. Plastic versus metal D-rings and number of dumps are minor considerations. Although Zeagle makes a very good quality BC, it is not for everyone. The Ranger, for example, is very bulky, and is not a very good travel BC. Their Stiletto model is much better for travel, as it packs much better. Seaquest BC's are also very popular. There are other companies who market very good BC's such as Sherwood, Oceanic, Cressi, and Tusa.

The Titan LX with Titan (standard, I hope) octos are a fine choice.
Good point, I failed to mention the type of diving:
We live in Michigan... so we're looking at a lot of cool/cold water diving in quarries, lakes, and the Great Lakes. We've been invited to do some river diving as well.
We also intend to take at least one tropical dive trip per year in the future, as well as visiting warmer areas of the US.
I intend (after gaining experience of course) to pursue Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, and possibly DM in a few years - just because I learned so much from the guys that were there just helping out during our certification dives... and I would love to be able to pass that along once I gain more experience.

I do realize that my concerns over the D-rings may be minor, but I was looking at it from the longevity perspective... want to make sure the equipment will be durable and fit as I grow in the sport :)

i would second the flexibility of the backplate/wing if you're thinking on investing on more than one BC for varying conditions ... or even as your sole bc

the equipment you listed is solid stuff, you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it

i would look into what prices he is offering you and then check out the internet for other prices. i'd be happy to pay a slight premium for his guidance and to set up a relationship with him, but just make sure you're not paying twice what the stuff is worth
I really like the concept of the BP/wing and I looked at the OMS rig that one of the DMs had - and tried on a "2 dives used" rig that was for sale at another LDS, and it was comfortable...
I need to use one in the water to see what it is really like.
As far as his prices - from what I can find online (after the discount he is giving us) the pricing is very close to online prices... plus buying local helps out a business locally, and helps maintain the bridges we built through our training with him :)

LDS and a good price are good things :)
It is your wifes choice of course, but personally, I would go for a more conventional approach
Absolutely. Met a group of fantastic guys/girls through the shop at on our cert dives and at the BBQ we had back at the hotel after... and going through the shop makes the most sense to me as a way of supporting his business... plus his prices are really good.
I'm not sure about the "lever adjust" approach... but she was pretty excited about it.

You cannot go wrong with whatever BC that fits comfortably - not necessarily BP/W (BTW, I have both: BP/W for fun dives & jacket one for dive classes).
One point though: DO NOT get any BC with plastic D-rings.
Exactly my thought... I need to try out a lot more before I find one I'm happy with. I'm not "normal shaped".

I'm 6'1" and 260lbs - but my waist is only in the 36-38" range, so it is slightly hard to find something that fits comfortably. That is why I was considering something from Zeagle - because of their ability to be modified... The OMS stuff I was looking at seemed to have similar abilities for adjustment - but these are all setups that are beyond my understanding ... I just need to test more equipment out!

Last edited:
I headed over to another LDS that is near where I work with my wife to check out their selection of BCs since my instructor's shop didn't have a large selection of models/sizes to try on...
I determined that I like the Pro QD... and I think I am going to order that tomorrow from my instructor's shop.

As another note - the "other" shop's owner made me feel like I was at a car dealership! He was happy to answer questions about the BCs, but when he found out we were certified at the other shop he said "Wait... doesn't *instructors name* carry Aqualung products too?" I honestly told him that he did, but we were still trying to decide what options to go with - and were curious about pricing at competitor's shops.
He left for a bit to let us mull over the BC choices, and as we went to leave started asking us what regs we were going to get - and offering to beat the prices... and telling us that we should instead buy an all titanium reg from Atomic with some special swivel mount hose... even though it was "almost twice the price" (his words). He then started going on about package deals he could get us if he could "rope us in for a thousand dollar sale" (his words again). Very uncomfortable experience.
Our instructor, in his shop, when we asked about equipment pointed to the middle of the road price range - mentioned that we could get more expensive if we wanted, but made no attempts to "rope us in" to buying more expensive equipment. I feel like we are making a REALLY good choice by supporting his shop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom