What do you guys think of this for first setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PTAaron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I just got our Open Water certifications last weekend, and today while returning our rental gear to the LDS, I took some time to talk with my instructor (store owner) about getting our own equipment. We both already have Oceanic Geo computers.
He is an Aqualung dealer - so naturally he suggested Aqualung products. He does offer a VERY nice discount to his students that make his pricing comparable to what I have seen online.

Anyway - these are the setups he recommended. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys that may have some experience with these pieces of equipment. I do realize that personal bias will certainly play a role in recommendations.

For my wife:
Pearl BCD (she used the Diva during open water class and loved it, she tried on the Pearl and liked it even better... so this one is a definite)
Titan LX regulator (2009 version)
Titan Octopus
Suunto Analog 2 gauge console, add on compass (free add on)

For me:
Latitude XLT BCD
Titan LX reg
Titan Octo
Suunto gauges/compass

Now... I am not sure I like the BCD - I will probably wait and try a few more styles before I make a definite decision. I used a similar SeaQuest during my open water, and I didn't like it much. Only one dump valve, plastic D rings...

Anyway - just want to confirm that these packages sound like a good starting point, and maybe get some thoughts on the Titan LX regs (I've seen nothing but good from my a quick search).

Titan is a great reg......our son dives one..........

Suunto gauges are also great........we all dive Suunto computers....

For a BC it is all about fit and if you can trim out horizontally underwater.........

We all dove SeaQuest Pro QD+ BC's recently in Maui and thought there were great ........

Hope this helps...................M

Thank you for the input!

I know this was a a very general question - and everyone's opinions will be different.
I'm mostly hoping to hear whether the choices are going to give good "bang for the buck" :wink:

I've been bidding on used Zeagle Rangers on ebay hoping to get a deal since I've heard so many good things about them... Figure if I get a good deal - if I don't like it, no biggie.
We'll be ordering our stuff Monday most likely - with the exception of the BC for me.
My wife is opting for the fancier version of the Pearl that has the lever inflate/deflate.

Aaron,
You did give any insight into the type of diving you intend to do, so I will not give specifics on the type of BC I think you should start with. Fit is the most important quality of a BC, and it should be tried on and used if possible before a decision is made. Plastic versus metal D-rings and number of dumps are minor considerations. Although Zeagle makes a very good quality BC, it is not for everyone. The Ranger, for example, is very bulky, and is not a very good travel BC. Their Stiletto model is much better for travel, as it packs much better. Seaquest BC's are also very popular. There are other companies who market very good BC's such as Sherwood, Oceanic, Cressi, and Tusa.

The Titan LX with Titan (standard, I hope) octos are a fine choice.

The basic design of the Titan goes way back, the internals of the first stage are the same ones originally designed for the 1965 Royal Aquamaster double hose reg, some material changes have been made but US Divers, as Aqualung was called back then, got the design right the first time and has not messed with a good thing. If taken reasonable care of the reg will be fit to dive for a lifetime.

Suunto makes gear gauges so they are fine and will likely still be on the reg for it's life as well.

BC's are more personal choice than anything else. You will get lots of hype from a lot of divers about this BC or that BC. Fact is they all work, some better than others. The main thing is to get a BC that fits your kind of diving and if your kind of diving varies a lot, you will end up needing 2 or maybe 3. For now, find one that works for you. One big consideration is size and weight of the BC. I owned a Ranger for several years, great BC however it did not really meet my needs. It has a large bladder and a really beefy harness to accomidate doubles- I never dive doubles- but I do travel a lot to warn dive locations. The extra bulk and weight took up a lot of room in my suit case and added a lot of weight. I sold it and bought a lighter, less bulky BC- another Zeagle- I like their design and customer support. My best advice is to evaluate your diving needs for the next several years - local quarries/drive to dive sites/fly to dive sites and make a decision based on that. For what it is worth I prefer a back inflate style over a jacket style but again that is more personal choice than anything.

....... The main thing is to get a BC that fits your kind of diving and if your kind of diving varies a lot, you will end up needing 2 or maybe 3.........

You don't need 2 or 3 BC's. If your kind of diving varries that much then you only need one backplate/wing BC.

i would second the flexibility of the backplate/wing if you're thinking on investing on more than one BC for varying conditions ... or even as your sole bc

the equipment you listed is solid stuff, you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it

i would look into what prices he is offering you and then check out the internet for other prices. i'd be happy to pay a slight premium for his guidance and to set up a relationship with him, but just make sure you're not paying twice what the stuff is worth

You don't need 2 or 3 BC's. If your kind of diving varries that much then you only need one backplate/wing BC.

:rofl3: As I typed that I wondered how long it would take before someone say this. Please go read the "how many BP's do you have thread". This is one of these BP myths worthy of Myth Busters. Simply swapping from single tanks to doubles requires a second wing and since the wing is the major cost and the BP is a pain to readjust (see how many BP do you have thread) it's easier to buy a new BP to go with the wing-- there is your second BC. For proper weighting in cold water with a single tank I would need a steel BP, problem is, a steel one is too heavy for all the warm water diving I do...I could use an AL for my cold water single tank dives but since I still have to buy the proper small travel wing and deal with readjusting the BP, migh as well get a BP to go with it...that's 3. Then again, even AL is too heavy for my warm fresh water diving- I use no additonal weight- so I suppose I also need a Kydex one too. Could I do all my diving with a single BP/wing...well sure if I didn't care about proper weighting and drag or mind dealing with readjusting my BP. Standard BC or BP/wing it does not matter, if you want to dive a wide range of conditions and styles and do it with efficently you are going to need multiple BCs.

He is an Aqualung dealer - so naturally he suggested Aqualung products. He does offer a VERY nice discount to his students that make his pricing comparable to what I have seen online.
LDS and a good price are good things :)
My wife is opting for the fancier version of the Pearl that has the lever inflate/deflate.
It is your wifes choice of course, but personally, I would go for a more conventional approach

You cannot go wrong with whatever BC that fits comfortably - not necessarily BP/W (BTW, I have both: BP/W for fun dives & jacket one for dive classes).
One point though: DO NOT get any BC with plastic D-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom