What do you guys think about using hands free camera/ lighting mounts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have my cam (Veho Muvi K2 NPNG) mounted on my shoulder with a RAM ball joint to angle it into position. I'm using a Peak Design Pro POV attachment. I use my smartphone (before diving) to adjust my POV but my cam has an LED display for me to frame my shots. No bubble interference because it's in front of my regulator. I'm using a filter, no lights. You don't need lights when diving St. Thomas (USVI) or Aruba (West Indies) - my vis was 40+ feet. Clear blue waters.

I just started using my camera rig set up so it will evolve as I go along. I have to remind myself not to flutter kick and just use gentle frog kicks but my dive buddy kept getting ahead of me.

Frank - I've been watching your YouTube vids and they are very informative. I think the GoPro Gooseneck works better than my RAM joints, you get better positions for framing the shots. However, I'm reading that the Gooseneck can be really stiff. How stable is the Gooseneck in the water? My RAM joints plus the Peak Design mount barely move but if I need to reframe the shot, I can just turn the adjust knob and pull the camera into position. I'm going to try my set up again when I dive in Mexico.

Watch a few underwater GoPro videos on YouTube and you'll get sea sick. The only way to shoot video underwater is to hold the camera as still as possible. You can't do that without using two hands or a tripod.

I disagree. I have a micro camera custom mounted on my mask. I don't turn my head a lot. The camera runs continually throughout the dive and thoug that involves a lot of editing most of the video isn't jumpy, the camera captures everything I saw on the dive, and when I see something really interesting I have a tendancy to hover really still and enjoy what I'm seeing.

Not everyone continually moves their head from side to side and thrashes about. Some of us swim slowly and with a great deal of stability. Having only to turn the camera on at the beginning of the dive allows me to forget it, drop one task load, and concentrate on enjoying the dive.

Do you think this would be interesting to you? Are you set with your current system or would a hands free camera rig or light rig come in handy.

What are your thoughts on this?

View attachment 217561

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

No.
You may recall from my review (actually, every review I've seen) of your light mount that stability is a problem when you stick something out on an arm. That arm is even longer. The stability, when a flexible mount (yours) is attached to a flexible mounting point (your BCD strap) is going to be atrocious. That equates to horrible video. Not to mention it's clunky, not at all streamlined, and an entanglement hazard.
No. Just no.

The stability, when a flexible mount (yours) is attached to a flexible mounting point (your BCD strap) is going to be atrocious. That equates to horrible video. Not to mention it's clunky, not at all streamlined, and an entanglement hazard.

+1 - the more flex in the rig the more flop that you can't do anything about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom