What do you guys think about using hands free camera/ lighting mounts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do you think this would be interesting to you? Are you set with your current system or would a hands free camera rig or light rig come in handy.

What are your thoughts on this?

bcd-long-arm-mount.jpg

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Do you think this would be interesting to you? Are you set with your current system or would a hands free camera rig or light rig come in handy.

What are your thoughts on this?

View attachment 217561

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

So if you're diving in the proper orientation (horizontal), you'll have lovely pictures of the bottom?

So if you're diving in the proper orientation (horizontal), you'll have lovely pictures of the bottom?

Good question, actually since the camera is in front of you can orientate the position, you can adjust the angle as needed so you can film in the right position. The purpose of having it in front of you is to see what the camera is filming.

Watch a few underwater GoPro videos on YouTube and you'll get sea sick. The only way to shoot video underwater is to hold the camera as still as possible. You can't do that without using two hands or a tripod.

Agree with Max, although I ordered an attachment with a clamp device that will be similar that'll connect to my manifold, we'll see how it turns out.
Far better than selfie sticks and you can still donate a long hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys think about using hands free camera/ lighting mounts?

I try not to.

The likelihood of the camera (or light) pointing at what the diver would actually want to see at any given time is fairly low... and almost constantly changing.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 01:34 PM ----------

Good question, actually since the camera is in front of you can orientate the position, you can adjust the angle as needed so you can film in the right position. The purpose of having it in front of you is to see what the camera is filming.

If angled forward where it's attached it would get some great shots of my arms, hands, reg exhaust & hose, and maybe even my chin.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 01:36 PM ----------

Agree with Max, although I ordered an attachment with a clamp device that will be similar that'll connect to my manifold, we'll see how it turns out.
Far better than selfie sticks and you can still donate a long hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounted an extra GoPro to my manifold for a few dives in Truk back in March. Got a few minutes of really good video... and a few hours of bubbles.

:D

I'm still trying to find a setup using the prototypes you sent that work for me. In a cave, having the gopro on the webbing straps *much better with 2" webbing now btw* is a bit better, but it still isn't still enough compared to hands or helmet. The light mount isn't bad but is more useful for working dives when you actually need both hands free. At that point, they're on a helmet. For cave diving the system actually is working better for strapping the gopro to the body of the scooter, same with the light mount I have, but on the body I haven't found a way that works, especially considering recreational divers that have trim all over the place, you might be looking where their body is looking, but not where the head is looking.

Reactions: RJP
Watch a few underwater GoPro videos on YouTube and you'll get sea sick. The only way to shoot video underwater is to hold the camera as still as possible. You can't do that without using two hands or a tripod.

Yeah I know that if you are very still you can film steady with this mount or probably any mount. It is once you are swimming regardless of which mount you even a two handed tray you will still have to move through the water slow and steady. In this next footage of me using the long arm mount I did not slow myself down enough, like you referring to but that was my fault. At the beginning of the video you can see that I am trying to catch up to my dive buddy/wife
after spotting a whole plethora of kelp bass.

[video=youtube;OqKFC5e1XYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqKFC5e1XYk[/video]

I also keep my BCD on a mannequin in the middle of my living room.

I also keep my BCD on a mannequin in the middle of my living room.

Yeah, I know I have small issues to sort out.

Oh well at least its good to know that I am not alone on this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom