What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not used snorkel for many yrs. But I remember in the old day if I have to use the snorkel I just held on to my primary regulator.

I'm also in the category of having a snap on my primary, with that said a couple options if you don't.

1. Just hold it in your hand.

2. Tuck it under your shoulder strap.

Although I have not used one for very long time but on many occasions I wish I have one with me especially waiting to get pick up by the boat on rough sea.

I'm also in the category of having a snap on my primary, with that said a couple options if you don't.

1. Just hold it in your hand.

2. Tuck it under your shoulder strap.

When I went to a long hose on my primary, I added one of those plastic quick release devices to the D-ring on the right shoulder of my BCD with the other end wrapped around the swivel behind the second stage, primarily to secure it on the boat as well as when I hand it up after the dive.

If I were to be using a snorkel in that configuration, I would stow it accordingly.

I would think the bungee idea is good when with a buddy also in case of separation or the time it takes for the buddy to realize you are unconscious. I haven't heard of any others anywhere doing this.

Straps to hold the regulator in your mouth, also known as gag straps, go back to the early days of SCUBA. They were standard equipment on many double hose and early single hose regs. I'm attaching a picture of my first reg, and if you look at the mouthpiece there is the aforementioned strap wrapped around the hose. A snap on one side of the mouthpiece and adjustment buckle on the other.

They were usually ignored or cut off as they were considered a safety hazard in the event one went out of air, slowing down the process of getting air from a buddy, or the surface. Your use makes sense, and one reason I kept mine on.

full.jpg

Thanks Bob. I did not know the history of it. Of course I didn't bungee it in when with students. I guess if I did with a certified buddy and the buddy tried to grab it it would snap back and hit me in the face.

I've been using a long regulator necklace. They used to be standard equipment a long time ago. The second stage just sits there below your chin but out of the way, instantly available. I think they market them for 'buddy diving', something I try to avoid.

When ever I've tried swimming off the beach on my back, I eventually heard that pesky "Jaws" theme.
I kept swimming on my back, but, was not strictly happy about it.

When you don't have your regulator in your mouth, what do you do with it?

Secure it to the shoulder strap of your BCD? If this is the solution, what are your favorite methods of securing it?

When diving a (single) single-hose regulator, I use a "standard-length" (32") IP hose on my 2nd stage. Whether I am breathing from my reg or my snorkel, my 2nd stage is held under my chin by a necklace handmade from silicone tubing. (I no longer cave line-tie a SS clip to my IP hose to secure my 2nd stage; it looks too much like a lure, I imagine, and I don't want a barracuda eating my face!)

Oh, and a firm tug on the 2nd stage will pull it free from its necklace without pulling off its mouthpiece.

Simple and basic for recreational diving.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom