What do you do to help our oceans/waterways?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regards to most commercial fisheries, species loss is a separate issue from pollution. In any event species loss is rectified through sustainable fisheries practices.

Extensive aquaculture is the simplest and oldest of the three commercial applications. It is low yield and low maintenance, but area intensive. Also ecologically damaging, but that's also a separate issue from pollution. Which extensive-type aquaculture contributes little.

There's protein that's efficient to produce, and then there's protein that people will choose to eat. Pollution can be ameliorated with modern science and technology, given the economic and political resources to make use of them. Conversely, if someone can make soybeans taste like prime rib or bluefin tuna, much of the resource extraction pollution can be prevented in the first place. :eyebrow:

archman:
In any event species loss is rectified through sustainable fisheries practices.
Which in many cases is clearly not happening. It also seems unlikely that it can be brought about by legislation. Perhaps consuming less (or none) might be a better (more market driven) idea ?

archman:
Extensive aquaculture is the simplest and oldest of the three commercial applications. It is low yield and low maintenance, but area intensive. Also ecologically damaging, but that's also a separate issue from pollution. Which extensive-type aquaculture contributes little.
I'm not familiar with this type or method. If you can post a link with some RL examples I'd be interested to read about it.

archman:
There's protein that's efficient to produce, and then there's protein that people will choose to eat. Pollution can be ameliorated with modern science and technology, given the economic and political resources to make use of them. Conversely, if someone can make soybeans taste like prime rib or bluefin tuna, much of the resource extraction pollution can be prevented in the first place.
That's about the sum of it. Ad Reductum your observation says that most people care more about stuffing their faces with "tasty" food than they do about helping the ocean. Pollution (even ameliorated somewhat) will always be a consequence of this.

People can make a big difference with the market power they wield, but few choose to do so either out of ignorance or simply because they don't care....

I support the Nature Conservancy, Ocean Conservancy, and REEF. I take along bags when I kayak to pick up trash along the river.

Let me see, I drive my car to my shore dives, or fly in a plane to exotic destinations. I have my cylinder filled by an electric-motor-driven compressor which is powered by coal, or diesel, or nuclear, or maybe hydro-electric power that comes from a dam below a huge man-made lake. I spend lots of money on exotic gear that's made from high-tech polymers or machined from exotic alloys and shipped around the world on a container ship. I eat food that comes from a farm field saturated in nitrates, or a cow pumped up with hormones and anti-biotics.

Oh, yeah, I picked up a can the other day.

OK, maybe that's a little too sarcastic. My point is that even somebody like me, who generally tries to do the right thing, still does not have zero impact. And there are a lot of ways we negatively impact the environment that we might not have thought of. All I can say in my defense is I try to reduce my overall impact on the environment, and I hope to do better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom