what do you call this fast button pressing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned above what you're experiencing is a combination of write time, flash recycle (if you're using the built-in flash) and shutter lag.

If you use the flash there's not much you can do about reducing the delay between shots.

If you don't use the flash then the only delay you'll experience between shots is the shutter lag and write time.

There's not much you can do about the shutter lag with consumer and prosumer digicams - there is a lag time and they're pretty much around the same with all brands. With the C5050 you can significantly reduce shutter lag by engaging the 'fulltime AF' though that's much harder on your batteries.

With cameras like the C5050 you can significantly reduce the write time using the xD memory card as the C5050 has a larger buffer and the xD has a faster write time. But keep in mind that the 5MP files are bigger....

With the C5050 and a larger buffer you can use the drive mode (can't use the flash in this mode) to take a series of pics. In one of the drive modes you can keep taking frames until the internal buffer runs out. The beauty is that the camera doesn't have to wait for the buffer to clear completely ie you can press the shutter again and start shooting again as soon as there's room to save another pic in the buffer.

Just tried something on the C5050...

In A and M shooting mode:

-Force the flash
-Set flash mode to 'Slave', level 1 (I think any level works, tried till 6)
-Engage 'Drive' mode
-Keep the shutter release pressed

You know what: It shoots in continuous mode and fires the flash too - awesome! Brain now whirling away thinking about combining this with the fast recycle time (1sec) of the Ikelite DS125 :) .

Watch out World.....Reyer's on the loose!

Can't wait to see whay you'll dream up :)

Hang in there, you can work around the cameras lag time, swim with your subject, set up on the way to your subject or pick slower subjects. I use the dsc-70 and ikelite housing and definately know your frustration. I`ve missed some good shots myself. Sony does take some nice photos though and you really do find ways around the limitations of the camera.

I just looked on Ebay, and there are a number of Nikonos II and III cameras for sale there. I've used the Nikonos II for several decades, and they are still doing fine. I flooded one, and it was repaired (fresh water flood, but this has happened in salt water with success for repairs for the older Nikonos (prior to the Nikonos IV/V)).

Also, I just fired off 6 shots in 5 seconds, which is actually a bit slow for the older Nikonos (I, II and III). They were equipped with a spring-loaded film advance lever, and that made very quick manual advances possible.

With the newer, high speed film (ISO 800), you can even get natural light photos in fairly low light.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom