What do folks make of this one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami has north currents, drifting entry and deco are common there (all my dives). Conditions really dictate the method. In NC we have swirling and shifting currents. Teams get spread over wide radius if you do this here. We try and avoid this. After all you could be 20 miles out and A boat search is not that effective in seas. Better to use an up line than a live boat here.

"Live Boat" is actualkly a US Coast Guard term for walking commercial divers on the bottom on surface supply. It is meant to denote that the boat's props can and do turn at any time. The CG has very specific regulations for the boat, skipper, diver, and tenders when conducting live boat operations, so you don't suck the diver up into a prop. The term is a spillover.

A diver might perform this operation when inspecting a pipeline for cracks in the oilfield. He walks along the bottom and the boat follows him. It is nerve-wracking.

I'm familiar with lines of all sorts and I've read what's at that URL, but I don't see "Jersey Upline" referenced.

A jersey upline is basically a bar that you have a thick line rapped around (200-300 feet of line) that had a bag tied onto the line. Simply inflate bag, it shoots to surface, tie the other end to the wreck. Then, you have a fixed position to be picked up from. Also can do a drift deco on it, if needed.

Inside wrecks I prefer to use braided steel line, not fabric. There are too many sharp edges inside a wreck to use fabric safely. I learned that lesson the hard way from someone else's near fatal mistake.

Peter, I've not heard of using braided steel lines inside wrecks before. I've only seen and heard of nylon lines tied off in multiple places inside wrecks to minimize chafing or cutting by sharp metal bits. My understanding is the tie-off style comes from cave diving lines. This regional diving stuff is interesting.

Getting a line entanglement with braided steel line sounds like a recipe for a very bad day.

If the line is sloppy going in that increases the entanglement hazard. And not bring able to cut it easily adds to the scary factor. Prob worse than having a line break IMHO on the bad day scale.
Make good placements (wrecks generally have more things to tie to than caves anyway).
My 2 cents anyway..
First I've ever heard of that..

We only use steel where there is a high risk of lines being cut by sharp edges, and clearly some different practices are called for. I've never heard of anyone having a problem because of the steel line. In any case, because such line is expensive and not readily available, and of course is heavy and bulky to carry, its use isn't common. But it is used by serious wreck divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom