What do double HP 120s weigh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyLitigator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
May be pulling the trigger on double 120s (Faber) shortly. Trying to get a sense of what they weigh, with bands and manifolds/valves, full. Surprising lack of information online. Anyone know (or have a set and willing to jump on a scale)?

May be pulling the trigger on double 120s (Faber) shortly. Trying to get a sense of what they weigh, with bands and manifolds/valves, full. Surprising lack of information online. Anyone know (or have a set and willing to jump on a scale)?
DGX (Faber F7-HP120 Cylinder w/Boot, Hot Dipped Galvanized) lists the weight of a Faber HP120 to be 39 lbs. So double this, and add the weight of a manifold, tank bands and hardware, BP/W, two complete regulators, and maybe other things like back-up light(s), primary light, reel and DSMB, etc.--though these things can be clipped on later when you're clipping on your deco cylinder(s).

ETA: Don't forget to add the weight of 2 * 120 cu ft of your chosen gas. (More if your cylinders are "cave-filled".)

rx7diver

DGX (Faber F7-HP120 Cylinder w/Boot, Hot Dipped Galvanized) lists the weight of a Faber HP120 to be 39 lbs. So double this, and add the weight of a manifold, tank bands and hardware, BP/W, two complete regulators, and maybe other things like back-up light(s), primary light, reel and DSMB, etc.--though these things can be clipped on later when you're clipping on your deco cylinder(s).

ETA: Don't forget to add the weight of 2 * 120 cu ft of your chosen gas. (More if your cylinders are "cave-filled".)

rx7diver
Yeah. The fully loaded kitted out doubles (regs, plate) I can get from the ground to my car as a deadlift, barely. Once I buy the tanks I will need to get the tanks (no kit, but manifold and full of gas) between house and car. Sounds like looking at about 110 lbs.

Yeah. The fully loaded kitted out doubles (regs, plate) I can get from the ground to my car as a deadlift, barely. Once I buy the tanks I will need to get the tanks (no kit, but manifold and full of gas) between house and car. Sounds like looking at about 110 lbs.
Yes, life is easier if you can *wear* your doubles to your dive vehicle (e.g., to your minivan), and you can sit down in them (with the bottom of the cylinders in the back/trunk/bed), step out of the harness, and lay the cylinders down.

Yes, I would guess a weight (for only air/nitrox-filled manifolded HP120's doubles, BP, and harness) a bit north of 110 lbs, since gas alone will weigh 2 * 120 * 0.08 = ~20 lbs (more for cave fills).

rx7diver

My Worthington 120's are a beast. In fact, I broke them up. I use 2x100 for a dive, and use a 120 cave filled to bump them if I need to top them up for a second splash. I'm only doing short deco dives with this configuration.

You’ve seen the numeric answers, and the Updated SCUBA tank specifications list -- in PDF and spreadsheet can give you details about other tanks.

For me, there is a noticeable difference between double HP 100/LP 85 and HP 120. The extra weight above what is already a heavy load is really noticeable at that point. And even though the HP 130s are only a few pounds heavier than the HP 120s, once again I can significantly notice the difference.

I’m not trying to talk you out of anything: double HP 120s are my favorite tanks. Just know that when you get to the high end of the weight range, even a little bit of extra weight becomes much more noticeable than it was with lighter configurations.

Those facts are the single biggest motivating factor that keeps me doing this: Strength Training & Muscle Building | Stronglifts: Strength Training and Muscle Building Not advertising that exercise regimen per se, but a consistent weight training regimen is, in my humble opinion, a must for any technical diver who wants to keep doing this.

Yes, life is easier if you can *wear* your doubles to your dive vehicle (e.g., to your minivan), and you can sit down in them (with the bottom of the cylinders in the back/trunk/bed), step out of the harness, and lay the cylinders down.

Yes, I would guess a weight (for only air/nitrox-filled manifolded HP120's doubles, BP, and harness) a bit north of 110 lbs, since gas alone will weigh 2 * 120 * 0.08 = ~20 lbs (more for cave fills).

rx7diver
Thanks. May just walk them to the place in my house where we store them before disassembling. Can just screw on the plate without the wing to get to car for fills.

You’ve seen the numeric answers, and the Updated SCUBA tank specifications list -- in PDF and spreadsheet can give you details about other tanks.

For me, there is a noticeable difference between double HP 100/LP 85 and HP 120. The extra weight above what is already a heavy load is really noticeable at that point. And even though the HP 130s are only a few pounds heavier than the HP 120s, once again I can significantly notice the difference.

I’m not trying to talk you out of anything: double HP 120s are my favorite tanks. Just know that when you get to the high end of the weight range, even a little bit of extra weight becomes much more noticeable than it was with lighter configurations.

Those facts are the single biggest motivating factor that keeps me doing this: Strength Training & Muscle Building | Stronglifts: Strength Training and Muscle Building Not advertising that exercise regimen per se, but a consistent weight training regimen is, in my humble opinion, a must for any technical diver who wants to keep doing this.
I’m working with a trainer for strength training more generally and I have made him aware of the tank weight issues. It has seemed to help.

And to be clear, been renting them for several months so a good feel for how they are on the boat and to the boat. Just nervous about to/from house.

I use a dolly to carry my LP50 from car to house.
Becareful lifting them up as you could hurt your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom