What dive computer to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Sol and also think the Luna is a great choice, both for a beginner and experienced recreational diver. The air integration works well and helps with air management. The thing even works well for night diving because of the push ON/OFF backlight. The infrared PC link is fast and works well.

Until the Liquivision Lynx comes out it's probably the best choice out there for recreational diving.

Just bought a Luna and absolutely love it! Great screen with all the information handy w/o looking at other screens. No signal loss. Upgradable.

You'll be very pleased with the Galileo Luna. The display has all the relevant data that is nicely organize and, very importantly, easily readable. The compass works nicely even when the computer is not fully level. Haven't had any transmitter issues but I do keep a back-up SPG. There have been a few reports of wrist straps breaking, although I forget how old the units were. I refuse to lose a $1000 dive computer and have mine tethered to a wrist lanyard for additional security.

Do be careful with wrist units. They are easily misplaced and stolen. I never leave mine un-attended. If I need to take it off, when I'm a boat for any reason. I attach it to my BCD/Regulator with the wrist lanyard.

@ Hatul:

Do you find the heart rate monitor function of the Sol useful? Has it made you more aware of your physical expenditure underwater?

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to try it out in 2 weeks and see how I like it. If all goes well it sounds like its a great choice.

Well I am new to diving but plan on buying once and buying right. I want a watch that has integrated air. I want a watch because I dont like having to look at a gauge. I use a watch every day so I am use to that and find it a little more comforting having it on my wrist. I want something that is going to last a long time and is not overly complicated. I want something I will be able to take with me on any dive I go on no matter if its California or somewhere tropical.

Any other computers that anyone suggest?

Liquivision Lynx, although not out until fall, similar price to the Luna, much smaller and OLED.

(Sorry Hatul, posted before reading the whole thread)

Last edited:
I have the liquivision Xeo. Excellent display and no buttons. It works by tapping the sides top and bottom which works very well. The computer can take right to trimix if desired and is a true technical computer. For no stop diving the biggest selling point is the screen. Amazing. Runs around 1000$ or under.

Stano

I like the look and how simple the Liquivision Lynx is but the price will be about $400 more for the whole set up. All I plan on doing is recreational diving for the next few years so I dont know if I will need that much computer right now.

---------- Post Merged at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 AM ----------

How do you think the Luna stacks up next to the Liquivision XEN?

I'm not familiar with the Luna. For a range of representative types, I'd look at these for comparison:

1.) Atomic Aquatics Cobalt - console style, great interface, expensive.

2.) Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 - as above minus the great interface but cheaper. Doesn't have a digital compass, but I like analog compasses anyway, and so do a number of folks.

3.) Oceanic VT4 - wrist unit, larger than a watch, air integrated.

4.) Oceanic Atom 3 - wrist watch style, air integrated. For a cheaper, non air-integrated unit, look at the Geo 2.0.

5.) Shearwater Predator, I think it's called, is highly regarded by some, but may well be overkill. I'm not up on what all is special about it.

I'd want a computer I could download dives to a computer from. Each of the above has fans. I don't know what computer is right for you. Might just be a Luna.

Richard.

Predator is a technical computer you will not outgrow and has outstanding service
-bluetooth to download dives and updates
-choice of algorithms
-oled display
-can swith oc>cc & cc>oc and lets you put in all your gas mixes
-can run in po2 mode, and monitor 1, or 3 cells
-can act as a po2 solenoid controller
-also is available with a hud for po2 monitoring

I like the look and how simple the Liquivision Lynx is but the price will be about $400 more for the whole set up. All I plan on doing is recreational diving for the next few years so I dont know if I will need that much computer right now.

---------- Post Merged at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 AM ----------

How do you think the Luna stacks up next to the Liquivision XEN?

The Xen is s bottom timer, the Luna a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom