What Div Opr for Southern End?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jp_bowers:
What dive operator would you choose to dive the southern end of island at the more advanced sites for experienced divers? My pet pev, in the past when attempting to dive Palancar and farther south, is that the dive operator would do one decent dive and then haul us halfway back (up the island) and dump us on a section that you couldn't exceed 45 feet without using a shovel

We use Dive with Martin he takes us where we want to go limited only by your computer.
Dive-Ho

mattboy:
To be honest, my favorite dives in Cozumel are usually the shallower ones; the light is better, there's typically more marine life. One exception is Colombia deep; and that's usually less than 110 ft. Fantastic algae fronds and rock formations on that one. But, some of the nicer shallow reefs, like yucab and cedral pass, are really spectacular. I think the advantage of the more southerly locations is fewer divers, especially in the morning. I'd look for a small dive op that caters to more advanced divers (if you can find one) and specify that you want to avoid the crowds. I've had good luck with scubashack, aka Roberta's Eco-dive cozumel. They're getting bigger, though, they just bought blue bubble divers, and with that came a couple of more boats. Hopefully, they'll be able to handle the inevitable increase in cruise ship/novice divers on the larger boat and save at least one of the small boats for people in your situation. There are a surprising number of single, relatively advanced divers on cozumel, and the better, smaller dive ops should be able to accomodate you. I would advise being as up-front as possible about your preferences and make sure they give you a straight answer.

Thanks for the input ... everyone! I'm currently checking with Living Underwater to see if Jeremy can accomodate me. From a PM that I received it sounds as if he may have the DO that I'm looking for.

To respond to the person above that finds divers excited about surveying the deeper sites perplexing:

We're all explorers. I don't know why, but for me the fascination lies just over the wall down into the abyss**. Is it because I'd like to see something few have seen? Perhaps. Yes, there is much that I haven't seen on the shallower dives; I'll take advangtage of that when I'm stuck with a DO that puts in those areas.

**Having said the above, I would never put my safety or anyone else's in jepordy... just because I'd like to see what's down there.

I understand your sentiment, but I hardly think diving 130 ft as opposed to 60 ft on the reefs in Cozumel qualifies as "the abyss" :) And as far as seeing something few have seen, if you're talking about few divers, maybe Cozumel isn't the best choice!

I'm not debating "dive deep" vs "dive shallow" aesthetics, I'm simply saying that in the Cozumel area, I've found some of the shallower reefs to be in general more beautiful dive sites. But, I bet you have a great time no matter where you dive there.

Dive-Ho:
jp_bowers:
What dive operator would you choose to dive the southern end of island at the more advanced sites for experienced divers? My pet pev, in the past when attempting to dive Palancar and farther south, is that the dive operator would do one decent dive and then haul us halfway back (up the island) and dump us on a section that you couldn't exceed 45 feet without using a shovel

We use Dive with Martin he takes us where we want to go limited only by your computer.
Dive-Ho

I just got back from Cozumel yesterday and I have nothing but great things to say about Dive with Martin.

My girlfriend and I joined a family from San Fran. and dove with the same divemaster all week. We were picked up at our dock and weather permitting, took us wherever we wanted to go. Punta Sur was the top choice most of the time, and even if the waves were a little choppy and travel time was longer, DWM still made the trip without any fuss or hassle.

I second 5615mike's recommendation for Aldora divers. They are a great outfit that treats you right. It's great diving the 120's and getting the extended bottom time. They have fast boats to get you out to the better sights and allow a long SI. You wont be disapointed!

jp_bowers:
What dive operator would you choose to dive the southern end of island at the more advanced sites for experienced divers? My pet pev, in the past when attempting to dive Palancar and farther south, is that the dive operator would do one decent dive and then haul us halfway back (up the island) and dump us on a section that you couldn't exceed 45 feet without using a shovel.

Mabe I'm spoiled; on Little Cayman we were allowed to dive our profile and make two 110' back to back dives (with a good SI) at Bloody Bay.... wow! those were the days!

I know that diving is just as good in Coz as it is on LC, but somebody just has to step up to the plate and show me that kind of service. Who?

In advance, thanks for your input!

JP,

Looks like you have about the same amt. of dives as I do. I'll be there May 18th. I will be diving with Careyitos. Most of the divers on the boat have advanced skills and usually we have a few DMs as well. Ricardo, the DM for Careyitos, always goes south. I have been going to Cozumel for 13 years now and Ricardo, in the last 3 years, has taken me to places I have never been. He will put you INTO the current and typically, we will hit 2 and sometimes 3 reefs at a time. I have never before seen so many Eagle Rays, turtles and sharks as when I started diving with Careyitos. I have been with several other DOs including Aldora. I dont like the steel tanks and the bother of changing my regulator to fit the steel tank. If you want to dive Palancar and south and see things you haven't seen before, then dive with Careyitos. They leave at 9:00a.m. from the marina next to the Presidente and usually are back no sooner than 4:00. Email them at Ricardo@advanceddivers.com. I dont know when you are going but I would advise you to call now. They fill up fast.

Check with Deep Blue. "extended range" is part of their motto. I have used them for over 20 dives and I have been very pleased with them. Like most Dive Ops they will charge a bit more for the far away dive sites, but yeah, so?

Wristshot

Wristshot:
Check with Deep Blue. "extended range" is part of their motto. I have used them for over 20 dives and I have been very pleased with them. Like most Dive Ops they will charge a bit more for the far away dive sites, but yeah, so?

Wristshot

Thats what I love about Dive with Martin, No extra charge for any site as far south or north as you want to go. :wink:

jp_bowers:
What dive operator would you choose to dive the southern end of island at the more advanced sites for experienced divers? My pet pev, in the past when attempting to dive Palancar and farther south, is that the dive operator would do one decent dive and then haul us halfway back (up the island) and dump us on a section that you couldn't exceed 45 feet without using a shovel.

You should also consider the North end Barracuda and San Juan are EXCELLENT (my personal favorites)They are rated for expert skill level due to sometime strong currents
I have seen the current going one direction at the surface and a different direction at depth .Get separated from your group and your next stop might be Cuba :11:

Back
Top Bottom