What digital camera to choose with a $400 budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=casio_exz40

Seems like there are two versions, one made in Japan the other in China. I do NOT know this to be true...

Looks like good features, but many are unhappy with the image quality.

DPReview has a forums section that generally is a good place to read what users have to say about a camera. Like anything on the internet, take it with a grain of salt... a big grain!! What maybe MORE telling is find the galleries that users of this camera have put together, and find full sized images to download, and even print/evaluate for yourself.

Happy shooting!
Ron

Yes, indeed that is why I actually tested the camera myself and was getting the same results as the review from "Bluedemon" not sure about the Japan/China models though. All the test shots were macro or less than 2 feet and set to the highest res., very sharp focus and bright colors, used the on camera flash on most shots.

Keep shooting!

I saw the 8080 for $500 in a mag recently!
I love my 5060 and it does everything I can do and more but it's over your price range. Look at the Oly stylus 300 and case, that should come close to your price and it takes great pics.

Wildcard:
I love my 5060 and it does everything I can do and more but it's over your price range. Look at the Oly stylus 300 and case, that should come close to your price and it takes great pics.

Thanks, $500 sounds pretty good! I was also looking at a Olympus Stylus for a pocket size PandS, but the 500 model at 5mp. An even LARGER 2.5 inch LCD, not sure if there is a U/W housing for it yet.

f3nikon:
Thanks, $500 sounds pretty good! I was also looking at a Olympus Stylus for a pocket size PandS, but the 500 model at 5mp. An even LARGER 2.5 inch LCD, not sure if there is a U/W housing for it yet.

I got my C5050 for $400.00 and paid $160.00 for the PT-015 case.
When the Gallery gets fixed check out the shots I've been getting with the internal flash. Now I just need a WAL and Inon strobe.......and some $$$$$$$.

Wildcard:

becareful where you buy it from some of the those places that offer the prices that low are scammers and will never send you the camera for that price unless you pay for the included accessories and more for a over priced warrenty.

if in doubt check www.resellerratings.com

FWIW

Tooth

I have a buddy that bought the Sony dsc-p93 and the Sony housing MPK-PEA and the two came to $450 range and the Sony Dsc-p100 is only a few extra $ but uses a Proprietary battery where the P93 uses "AA"s. The Battery is important to think about, You wouldn't want to be between dives and checking out the pix and run out of juice...But with "AA"s you can just slap new Batts in it.
While the LCD size and viewing under water is inportant if you put a LARGE memory card inside and set the camera for rapid multi shot setting you can delete the bad pix later and get then one shot you were looking for.
The Pix from my bud's camera are in my Gallery. The conditions weren't the best and that was the very first time that we used his camera. We ordered it on the way to the Persian gulf and then took the pix on our dive while on shore liberty in Dubai, UAE.

flyinghuntster:
I have a buddy that bought the Sony dsc-p93 and the Sony housing MPK-PEA and the two came to $450 range and the Sony Dsc-p100 is only a few extra $ but uses a Proprietary battery where the P93 uses "AA"s. The Battery is important to think about, You wouldn't want to be between dives and checking out the pix and run out of juice...But with "AA"s you can just slap new Batts in it.
While the LCD size and viewing under water is inportant if you put a LARGE memory card inside and set the camera for rapid multi shot setting you can delete the bad pix later and get then one shot you were looking for.
The Pix from my bud's camera are in my Gallery. The conditions weren't the best and that was the very first time that we used his camera. We ordered it on the way to the Persian gulf and then took the pix on our dive while on shore liberty in Dubai, UAE.

My point in getting a large LCD is not for reviewing the pictures AFTER the shot has been taken. I will review all the pictures, good and bad, after the dive on my laptop. I am aware about the larger memory that is why I am stocking up on 1G CF cards, I do not plan on reviewing the shots underwater.

The Large LCDs advantage is seeing the focus, composition; aperture and shutter speed settings BEFORE I take the picture.

Dive Safe

This is totaly true!!! I am not an expert on underwater. I only used a buddys camera once.....That was all that it took! I am looking into getting a camera that I too can use. I'd hate to switch memory formats (I use CF cards now) just to get a Sony camera when there are others out there and I LOVE the colors that the Canon can capture. My point and shoot cam is the A300 but there in no housing for it! :-( So I'll keep looking.

flyinghuntster:
This is totaly true!!! I am not an expert on underwater. I only used a buddys camera once.....That was all that it took! I am looking into getting a camera that I too can use. I'd hate to switch memory formats (I use CF cards now) just to get a Sony camera when there are others out there and I LOVE the colors that the Canon can capture. My point and shoot cam is the A300 but there in no housing for it! :-( So I'll keep looking.

Check to see if your A300 will fit in here. May take a little mod. but you could save alot if it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3869049851&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Or trade in your A300 for an S230. I still have a Canon G1 3.2mp still a great camera!

Back
Top Bottom