What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I am a patient man, my treatment of her was that of an ignorant man fooled by infatuation. Since I am back dating, I took the time to learn what I needced to change in my life.

She wasn't losing the rings, geesh, no one is that unlucky, she was pawning them to support her man-*****. Whatcha think she was doing while you were away for 4 hours a night for 4 weeks.

She wasn't losing the rings, geesh, no one is that unlucky, she was pawning them to support her man-*****. Whatcha think she was doing while you were away for 4 hours a night for 4 weeks.

Very possible. But, not on drugs. She got plenty of those for treatment of illness. But, I would not be surprised to find out she pawned them. But, I never thought about that, because of how upset she appeared to be at losing them.

She did a good job at making me feel bad about everything happening in our life. I am so glad i am free of her, but grateful for having been through it so I can be wary of it next time.

One recent woman tried to pull something similar, trying to make me feel responsible for her poor judgement. She's long gone past bingo, now.:vintagediver:

eelnoraa:

It's simple. Comfort. For some of us who dive in cold water, the additional weight becomes a burden. With a steel tank, I dive with 12-14lbs and a full 7mm wetsuit. With an Aluminum tank, I would need to dive with closer to 20lbs.

At least to me, being more comfortable underwater justified the cost of a more expensive steel tank. There are plenty of divers who do not feel the same.

C.

I started photography after I started to dive. I have a middle range slr, for which a bought a housing, and strobe. I regret that I did not get a point and shoot high pixel camera with housing. They are smaller and easier to use and to tell the truth the pictures are about the same, that is unless you spend alot of money on some very expensive lens

Last edited:
1.) Mask:

As silly as it seems, I regret buying my first mask. Well actually I regret upgrading to my first mask. My OW training package included a mask and fins in the price, however I choose to upgrade to a better mask for an additional fee - which sounded sensible at the time. The problem was that I really had no idea what I wanted in a mask so I made an uninformed choice - the mask is actually quite good and I used it all through OW training and check-out, the issue is that it is totally clear (clear silicone, clear side frames, etc,) and I find that the light reflects in distracting weird ways. I've since acquired a Promate Raven frame-less mask with low volume and black silicone. This seems to function WAY better for me (so much so that I purchased another one to keep in my BCD pocket as a back-up).

2.) Huge knife:

Yeah, I bought the huge titanium knife with the neoprene leg holster. It's actually really cool...however I don't want to be "that guy" with the monster knife on his leg. Now, if I see someone else strapping a huge knife on I'll follow suit. Ha!

Cheers!:D

in reply to Al Mialkovsky I agree......
engagmenet ring 500.00 dollars.
wedding ring to go with engagment ring 200.00
buying a house for a woman 75,000
new car. 20,000.
6 years of being told what to do and the therapy involved ?????? lots of money....
divorce attorney and taking my lumps..... PRICELESS.....

Uff, I've just read through all 94 pages. Thank you all very much for this extremely useful share of your experience!

As regards me... I haven't bought much so I don't have much to regret, but... probably I would prefer not to have bought Mares Quattro. They are great fins, very comfortable, but I need something stiffer (practising alternative propulsion techniques) and shorter (travelling)...

My regrets:

5-6 masks looking for the magic non-leaky mask before realizing my wife is a nose-breather.

Tanks

Lobster bags. I used them once collecting megalodon teeth. They're still hanging on the wall years later.

Velcro-strap wrist slate. As has been stated, there's no good way to strap it on. Suit compression results in it flopping around or poor circulation to your hand. Even worse, the provided pencil will not write on it! EXCUSE ME! Test your product before shipping?! Duh.

Oceanic Caribe Fins. They're great fins. Problem is, we always wear boots. So the bare feet fins never get used.

Small lights. Hardly ever use them.

Items I don't regret similar to products seen others complain about:

Atomic SS1: I've used this occasionally and still love it. What's wrong with the Octo+ ? I have never regretted the SS1 for any reason.

Tusa Zooms. If you can't fight current with these on, learn how to kick with them. No challenger has yet been able to keep up with me when I'm using a short swift knee-bend kick. zooooom is absolutely right. With very little effort, I go so fast, my reg hose is tugging and flapping in the current. Back kick? Frog kick? Pffft. maybe if I ever needed those kicks.

Drysuit
USIA - I think it's an Aqua pro plus, Worst cut drysuit I have ever seen, I can't imagine what the person it would fit actually looks like. - This purchase is the primary reason I no longer trust my LDS, the owner talked me into buying it just after I completed Open Water.

Fins
Atomic BioFins 2 pairs - I ended up diving Jets

BCD
Balance back inflate - ended up going BP&W

Snorkels
Two Apollo snorkels and a collapsible one someone convinced me was a good idea for Kelp diving - I never use them.

Computer
Suunto Cobra Air Integrated console - I ended up with a basic air pressure gauge and wrist mounted instruments.

Oceanic Folding Snorkel-- good idea that does not work. When you need a snorkel in scuba it's for surface swims, and the thing is too narrow to get any air through. Feels like breathing through a straw.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom