What determines a diver to be DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy:
You can always have a DIR mentor.

You can. And that's great. But if your mentor is not an instructor, how do you know the quality or thoroughness of your education?

polkster13:
What, or who, defines a diver as being a DIR diver?
Hmmm.. big watch, sunglasses, checkbook, little ...
oops.. no, that's "Fighter Pilot" :wink:
Sorry, no idea.
Rick

mempilot:
Then there are those who have the training, dive the equipment, claim to be DIR, but fall short on lifestyle and skills.

I was on a tech charter for Memorial Day. 15 slots, about half DIR. Of the half that were, 4 had to weigh over 250lbs (not joking), and this was not due to their aggressive height. I doubt any of them follow a training and nutrition program, but one had the nerve to make a comment about a single piece of my equipment that was out of standard. One was completely out of his element with his stage and deco bottle during kit up.

I have read the book. I am taking the class. I follow the standards with a few exceptions at this point.

This is not a slam, because I agree with the DIR principle. But the DIR label defineatly does not make the diver. Underwater, there are good divers and bad divers. The training in your logbook has nothing to do with your skill and ability.

I look forward to completing the training, as I feel it will make me a better diver. But I'd put my skills up against at least half of those on the boat that day.

MEMpilot, are you a fighter pilot by any chance? :))

mempilot:
Maybe. They had enough GUE logo wear to form their own shop! :))

Boogie,

When are you gonna come down here and spend some time in the warm water? I'm putting together some nice tech dives this summer. I'd like to have you guys down sometime so I can put a face to my debate counterpart. :))

Afraid to dive in cold water MEMpilot?:))

divenut2001:
MEMpilot, are you a fighter pilot by any chance? :))
Under RM's definition, no.

Hey, divenut, why did you pull the rest of this post? or did a MOD? I'm just curious. I'll answer your question though, since it came to me in an email. I don't have an attitude against DIR divers. If I did, I wouldn't be taking the class. I merely pointed out that there are those who have the training, and don't practice what they learn. It fits the topic of the thread.

Oh, btw, I do dive in cold water. I just happen to live by warm water. My asking Boogie down to dive was not being a smartass, it was a genuine invitation.

mempilot:
Under RM's definition, no.

Hey, divenut, why did you pull the rest of this post? or did a MOD? I'm just curious. I'll answer your question though, since it came to me in an email. I don't have an attitude against DIR divers. If I did, I wouldn't be taking the class. I merely pointed out that there are those who have the training, and don't practice what they learn. It fits the topic of the thread.

Oh, btw, I do dive in cold water. I just happen to live by warm water. My asking Boogie down to dive was not being a smartass, it was a genuine invitation.

I pulled it! I felt I was attacking you which is against the rules of this board so for that I appologize. I have a short fuse when it comes to dealing with people who act like they're better than everybody. In "my" profession the one's who go around telling everybody how good they are usually aren't. Didn't say you had an attitude with DIR divers. I'm just glad that of the divers I dive with the one's who are clearly more experienced and have honed their skills do not walk around with such a "big head"! They're usually the one's who will go up to a diver having difficulties and offer words of encouragement with usually a "hey, we've all been there". If they walked around with an attitude like yours I'ld probably find somebody else to dive with.

divenut2001:
I pulled it! I felt I was attacking you which is against the rules of this board so for that I appologize. I have a short fuse when it comes to dealing with people who act like they're better than everybody. In "my" profession the one's who go around telling everybody how good they are usually aren't. Didn't say you had an attitude with DIR divers. I'm just glad that of the divers I dive with the one's who are clearly more experienced and have honed their skills do not walk around with such a "big head"! They're usually the one's who will go up to a diver having difficulties and offer words of encouragement with usually a "hey, we've all been there". If they walked around with an attitude like yours I'ld probably find somebody else to dive with.
You've taken something I've said out of context. Why do you think I have a big head? I actually humbled myself to real DIR divers, as I aspire to finish the class and become a better diver for it.

The topic of the original post led me to share the experience I had the other day with some 'proclaimed' DIR'ers. It fit the post in that their training did not make them what they claim to be. I make no claims.

I'm not sure why you've taken such a microscopic view into my post, but it must have struck a cord somewhere. If that is the case, I'll apologize. I make no judgement on anyone until I dive with them. I dived with these guys and made judgment that half of them were great divers and half needed to go back to OW 101. I wouldn't have shared if not for the topic of this thread.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom