Question What computers have GF99?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand it just fine. SurfGF and NDL tell you your greatest tissue loading ...
So, if both SurfGF and NDL tell you the same thing you should be able to answer these questions:

1) I am on a dive and my computer says I have an NDL of 9 minutes remaining.
a) what is my greatest tissue loading?
b) what is my SurfGF?
c) How close am I to DCS?

2) I am on a dive and my computer says my SurfGF is 71%.
a) what is my greatest tissue loading?
b) what is my NDL?
c) How close am I to DCS?

I have done you the courtesy of carefully reading and considering what you have written. Since it appears you are not willing to reciprocate, I do not see a point in continuing this discussion.

if your SurfGF shows 99, then a direct ascent to the surface would put you right on your M-Value limit and is equivalent to the NDL limit of a straight Buhlmann model.
[sections in italics are from the Shearwater article referenced above]

I still question the value of GF99.
It should be noted that the "straight Buhlmann model" is NOT recommended! That is equivalent to GF-High=100; bad idea. Diving so your SurfGF=99 is not a good practice (because going to the surface at that point is not good), just as diving with GF99=99 is not a good practice.....if you are trying to do non-deco dives.

Right there you are wrong! Tissue loading is not the problem(in and of itself) and the problem is not limited to the surface, it is tissue supersaturation due to ambient pressure less than tissue dissolved gas pressure also known as tissue tensions and represented by GF99 that causes DCS. We are concerned about tissue loading because it will cause high tissue tensions when you reduce ambient pressure and therefore indirectly cause DCS. You can get DCS at any depth by ascending too rapidly to that depth with tissue loading from a deeper depth. If your GF99 is above 100, you are at risk of DCS no matter what depth you are at. If your SurfGF is above 100, you are only at risk if you ascend to quickly. DCS is not a surface only phenomenon. This is why on decompression dives you must do the deeper stops. The deeper stops prevent DCS at the shallower stops. You stay at each stop just long enough to decompress enough to prevent DCS at the next stop.
Sorry but i've to siad You have no idea about deep stops and decompression theory.
Just read about "heat maps" :wink:
BTW
Deeper stops not preventing DCS :wink:

I have done you the courtesy of carefully reading and considering what you have written. Since it appears you are not willing to reciprocate, I do not see a point in continuing this discussion.

I would like to apologize to @lowwall all and the rest of Scubaboad. I let my responses get more heated and personal than appropriate.

I felt that he couldn't be understanding my posts given the responses he made.
I am sure he felt the same, I couldn't be understanding his posts given my responses.
It appears we were talking past each other, and I let myself react very poorly.

To @lowwall:
I was attempting to reciprocate. I was trying to carefully read and consider your posts. We are still misunderstanding each other. But my responses, especially the final one, did not reflect either courtesy or consideration. I am sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom