What computer would yall recommend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txaggie08

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're looking for computer recommendations for the team we have coming together(building this very much from scratch), and are a little unsure what computer we'd like to standardize around.

Thanks.

So many variables to take into consideration...What kind of diving, where, what do you want it to do, what is your budget, diving in out-of-the-way-locations [easy access to tech support/parts], conservative-vs-liberal etc...Once you get your 'team' together brain storm :coffee:, compare notes/computers and come to a concensus...If that's possible :shakehead:..:wink:...:rofl3:

Some things I would consider high priority-

1. Audible fast ascent warning. (Handy for zero vis if you're not on a line)
2. Auto adjusting for altitude.
3. Able to set fresh vs. salt water. (Some will auto switch if over 2,000 ft elevation)
4. Wrist mount. (Occasionally have to swap out your rig in a hurry?- I'd rather have the computer on me and not on the boat)

Due to the number of broken computers I've experienced I nearly always carry two on dives now.

If you are a true RESCUE team pick a conservative one. Reason being is you are going to be somewhat stressed on the operation and may get over exerted increasing the possibility of DCS. A liberal unit just may push you over the edge while still showing you are within safe limits.

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing exactly what type of diving your group intends to do. Air or Nitrox? Tech (TriMix)? Strictly recreational?

Personally I use both Uwatec (ScubaPro, Aladin 2G) and DiveRite (Nitek Trio) computers pretty much exclusively.

If you have any old geezers in the group (like myself), I suggest one with a font size that we can read without a magnifying glass! That generally rules out many of the watch style computers.

PS- I just discovered that this forum is a subforum under Public Safety Divers. I didn't realize that when I posted the above.

Brand should have very little to do with your decision. What you should pay attention to is: Can you operate it properly? Can you understand what it is telling you? Ease of battery changes. Does it fit your needs and can you read it in low light or reduced visibility? How liberal/conservative is it? Does it turn itself on/off on its own?

The “Best” one is no more than a paper weight if you can’t operate or understand it.

If you’re a “Recovery Team” you can use pretty much anything you want along with a variety of gas mixes as you have time to plan dives and stay within those plans. BUT if you are a “Rescue Team” there should only be 21% in your tanks. The reason is simple. You can’t plan what you are going to do ahead of time.

I have been told several times that we could use higher percentages on our recovery dives and maybe we could. But what happens when we get a rescue call right in the middle of a recovery or training? That has happened to us a lot during a recovery or training. The only safe thing to do is have nothing but 21% in your locker. If you want to dive other mixes take yourself out of service for a day or two.

So a “Rescue Team” should do very well with air only computers while a “Recovery Team” can do what ever you want within reason.

One other consideration that very few think about is mounting. A “Rescue Team” needs to save every second they can so having a hose mount is ideal as it is ready to go all the time. Wrist mounts not only take time to put on but now get in the way when trying to use your arms. They could also become an entanglement issue for both rescue or recovery teams when searching in limited or zero visibility or deep into the mud.

Our gear is set up 24-7-365. It actually takes longer to put on a wrist mount than it does to get into our tank, BC, reg and get hooked up. Precious time the victim does not have.

Last edited:
Maybe THIS could help? You could use our tool to compare dive computers side-by-side and then you can see them in action in our online classes and/or take them for a spin with our simulators

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom