What case for D80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi folks, just bought a D80 and i'd love your opinion on good cases. I'm considering the ikelite and patima housings since the prices are similar, but im open to suggestions. thanks!

I have both a Nikon D50 and an Olympus e-330 housed in ike housings.I have used Ike housing and flashes for 25 years .I am sold on Ike housings and flashes.I like their TTl functions and the fact that they are transparent and you can see everything inside.They are a little bulkier than some others but I consider them bullet proof.Thats just my opinion.I am thinking of upgrading to the Nikon d300 and will use an Ike housing if I upgrade.

thanks for the reply EastEndDiver. Are there any advantages to using aluminium housings, over the traditional polycarbonate plastic cases? I like Ikelite too, but if the price is the same, wouldn't an all-aluminium case be more sturdy, and thus preferable? Thanks.

Sky I really don't know.With the Ike you can see everything inside the housing,so if you have a leak you can detect it quickly. Ike has a great selection of ports which to me is important not sure about other housing manufacturers.I have had Ike housings down to 180' with no problems.With Ike you get true TTL capability when using their strobes I am not sure with others.I have always used Ike and have never been dissapointed.Their service is amazing I have had several dealings with them and they have always gone above and beyond.

Again this is my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. Hoping for more opinions. saw the sea & sea housing which looks cool. any more opinions from others with these housings? thanks

i personally use aquatica housing. i love mine and can not say enough about them they are also reasonably priced as far as aluminum housing if there is such a thing. you can also get an optional ttl converter, if TTL is the deciding factor. they also have a nice assortment of port they just reales two new port to go along with there 8,9 inch dome and macro port. the like to there web site is below Aquatica.com

Aquatica D80 housing

I've heard good things about the aquatica too. where'd you get your housing from? I don't have a local distributor in singapore as far as I know. Thanks

i got mine through Backscatter : they specialize in underwater photography. great guys they will help you through every thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom