What can your LDS do to bring in more women divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and no.

Town B needs to stock a large range of female gear. But the range needs to be varied in terms of brands and size, not aesthetics.

I do not think the female demographic is that different. The overwhelming majority of us just want gear that fits properly, regardless of colour or patterns or whatever. A few will want aesthetics over functionality and fit, but no moreso than guys who want ridiculous camo patterns on their wetsuits (it's a thing here, dunno about where you are).

I agree! In the discussions I've had with women divers the issue is still pretty standard, we want gear that fits and performs. Basic black is fine. Spend less development $ on designing some silly pattern to denote it as women's gear and more on making it work for women divers. Better gear gets my money.

We want gear that fits right and performs well. The occasional diver will mention the desire for a particular color or pattern, but when it comes down to it function triumphs over any choice of styles. Face it, no one actually looks good in neoprene or a drysuit so the style is not of major value. I'd never chose gear based on a pattern or color; it is fit, performance and reputation that matter.

We all want gear that fits and works, diving is not a fashion show. I've talked to women who went to custom wetsuits or drysuits because there are not as many size options available for women. I went with a White's drysuit because of the flexibility of the fit. If you compare the range of sizes and options available for men and women (look at the size charts), there are more options and sizes available off the shelf for men. While it may sound redundant to keep saying women want choices of sizes to get gear that fits, the issue is real.

In terms of stocking a store, well sized gear made for a woman's body is a big seller. I many have sold a few Zeagle Zena BCs for my LDS because I love having gear that fits right and can't help talking about it when another woman is shopping for BCs. When something works for us, we spread the word and when something is just another piece of SAP (small and pink) gear that hasn't been designed to actually work better for women, we share that too. So, I'd be less likely to buy a "pretty" wetsuit and more likely to buy the one that fits with a rugged zipper and great reviews from other women divers. And I'd certainly be bringing my ALL my buddies to the shop where I got the great gear.

Richard, I'm wondering if you shouldn't take your question into a larger forum. It would be interesting to know how many male divers would like a little pizzazz on their wetsuits. :)

While I agree with Chistine wholeheartedly, if I happen to find the magical unicorn wetsuit that fits me properly, I'm not against a little embellishment.

By the way, I love the Truli logo and would certainly appreciate a full 3 mm with the logo on the cuff or racing across the shoulder, etc. :wink: For now, I've got the Truli logo sticker on either side of my large black roller bag. Looks fab.

Last edited:
Also, I like the looks of the Nixie but it absolutely is not made in a way that is functional for me. I want zips on the ankles of the suit and that's one of my first criteria; part of the function, as it were.

I'll end up in an ugly (to me) suit that performs before I worry about looks. I found myself amused reading Christine's remark about "fashion show" because I've said it many times. The first time I was diving with a group from home. We were geared up on the boat and the female group leader looked at me, laughed and said "Chilly, NONE of your gear matches!" I replied "I came too dive not to be in a fashion show. Let's go!"

Last edited:
"Richard, I'm wondering if you shouldn't take your question into a larger forum. It would be interesting to know how many male divers would like a little pizzazz on their wetsuits."

Funny you should say that, because it was a thread in the larger community where a woman posted something that got me thinking. She basically complained about a selection of dive shirts where the decorative theme could be summed up as 'skulls and tit.s,' I believe it was.

Which brings up another angle. I hear what you guys are saying about fit & function for the exposure suits & gear you actually get underwater in. But what about the non-gear 'dive lifestyle' stuff; dive shirts, dive license plates, dive key chains, etc...?

Does any of this merchandise impact your going to the LDS, or is it just a trivial 'If I'm there & like something, I might impulse buy it' thing?

Richard.

If I'm there already and see a little somethin' somethin' that appeals to me, I'll pick it up. Years ago I got a cool licence plate, :). I buy clips and coil bungies and such. Hmm, let's see . . .again, years ago, bought a cool decorative tile that I still enjoy. No keyrings, never though I do like and use stainless keyring hoops for a couple of things. I'm not into dive t-shirts and even quit buying them at away locations. I do use the shop for my chill guard/rashguard purchases. I'm not happy with rashguard selections anywhere lately and recently lost my favourite, which as it happens, had a subtle print running down the sides and underarms. It also fit properly as opposed to my others. Darn, why did you make me think of that? Now I'm annoyed about it again. :wink:

Nope. Just want some gear that fits. You can get that other stuff anywhere if you really want it. I buy what I need for my kit at my LDS that I go back to for my gear service or new equipment, I don't go back to them because they stock scuba swag. That kind of stuff seems to accrue as gifts, you don't really buy it for yourself.

Oh wait, I did impulse buy a scuba bowl for my dog. He is the most spoiled member of the family, but I certainly didn't get in the car and drive to the shop thinking, "My dog would be much happier if he could eat from a scuba doggie bowl." Nope. Saw it, went "Awwwww," and forked over some cash. That was good product placement.

I have to amend my comment about not buying dive t-shirts. I don't buy the standard kind. This past fall on Turks and Caicos Explorer, Mia showed me their selection of ladies v-neck tees in a softer lighter fabric with cool patterns designed by "bottom Crawlers". I bought 3 and a month later in Grenada, I purchased another. If my lds sold those, ya. :)

Oh forgot to add, I'm into mask strap covers too.

Lifestyle dive clothing and trinkets is a case of if I see something I like I'll buy it. Always spur of the moment random purchases rather than things I'd planned to go out to buy intentionally.

I have a few fun keyrings floating around

Though dive t-shirts and tank tops tend to get bought at resorts or lob's when I've run out of clothes and don't want to do laundry...

I am a little late to this discussion, but I think that if a dive shop wants to attract more female customers, the following would be reasonable steps to take:
1. Have more female dive staff - more female instructors and divemasters.
2. Have all of your staff complete a sexual harassment training course and make it clear that you as a shop owner will not tolerate bad behavior.
3. Stock a range of products in sizes for women, not just one "women's bcd"
4. Have a clean, well organized stock area.
5. Consider offering some women's only dive outings/trips

I think that those would be a good start - I think that 1 and 2 are the most important.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom