What can DIR teach me about dive planning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivertanker:
Having said that, this board is probably full if I search. But I mean incidents where DIR specificaly worked.
When has DIR training resulted in a "save"?
Lots of posts; not many examples other than ones that occurred during GUE classes.

Of course, the best saves are ones that don't have to be done, which takes us back to your original question.

Having said that, this board is probably full if I search. But I mean incidents where DIR specificaly worked.

As far as the dive planning is concerned. There is a big emphasis on risk assessment... There are some time when not diving is the best alternative.

rivertanker:
Well yes, gear is the easy part, I agree. Maybe incident description would be the way to go.

I use this board as an educational tool. (probably the whole point), so why not discuss the merrits of different philosophies as well as gear?

Oh - and I see you are in Cairns =sorry about the redneck thing, everyone knows what Cairns is really famous for.... hehehe

hmmm Australia. Summer there, warm, girls, cold beer.... sorry! started to gray out there for a moment...

Here is an open water DIR example. The point of DIR is to avoid any real problems by being physically and mentally equiped to handle anything that happens quickly and prevent the dive from going sideways. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1341516#post1341516 I think I have posted a few examples from cave dives too but divers that have enough background to really understand those examples don't need them.

Now there's a new tangent. (for me I mean!) Risk assesment. Of couse if you have some training and some experience and apply what you learn... risk assesment becomes that mysterious thing that seperates an advanced diver from a rookie.

- you are at 90 feet and staring at your watch a long, long time thinking "I just am not sure..."

or wading in and that damn neck seal is just toooo tight (actualy breathing is hard)

at those points the good diver 'bongs' his buddy and signals doubt.

Risk assesment is relative . I mean technical divers plan on situations that are insanely dangerous ... if you are a rookie. For me the jury is still out on risk assesment. I think I do it very well... but I dont know how I do it.( funny feelings, hairs on the back of my neck, a voice the screams "HEY!"

[/QUOTE] I think I have posted a few examples from cave dives too but divers that have enough background to really understand those examples don't need them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the example. If DIR training led to that kind of integation, then it worked great! (Silently, without a lot of fuss, to avoid mistakes in the first place) See I would rely on a very effective buddy system for that. But we are saying the same thing here...

Teamwork is a relevant concept in a recreational o/w environment, for divers at all levels. For teams that are well experienced the level of communication… especially active is minimized because members of the team understand the protocols. For relatively inexperienced teams the level of explicit communication is relatively more visible… just to ensure that everyone is on the same page. In all events team members are communicating with one another through the dive by the means most appropriate including active, passive, hand signals, written communication, light signals or touch.

Here are several examples.

1. Two divers one navigates the other watches for depth
2. Two divers, one photographing the other scouting and generally keeping track of changes in the environment
3. Three divers on a drift dive 80 feet… two attend while one diver shoots a bag
4. Predive… one diver calls the dive plan and takes responsibility for calling the predive equipment check
In each of these cases the common ground is an attitude towards safety and attention to the details of the dive. All divers manage situational awareness and a shared responsibility for the execution of the dive plan.
sorry for the messy posting!. Above is a quote from a "Tollie" in another thread that I was led to by RTodd. This is great stuff! It exemplifies what good or 'advanced ' divers do. I was specificly interest in DIR for the refinement of this idea. (I already use a lot of DIR gear concepts. ( wings, hoses, standardization etc.), I am looking for refinement in method, not just gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom