What camera do people recommend for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, money spent on good equipment is never a waste. When I had my Nikonos III the most important thing I owned for it was my twin strobes and followed by my Sea Sea WAL adapters. Now with my little Canon 570IS the most importat thing I own for it is my Inon D2000 strobe and my Inon wide angle lenses.

This excellent, sharp, well lit, photo taken by a friend with a high dollar DSLR:

RobandBryanatAlexander1.jpg

This photo taken the same day and place with my "cheapo" Canon 570IS:

P3270019.jpg

LOL, note camera in the gents hand above.

N

In this one I turned my strobe way down to keep the dark, moody look.

P3280117.jpg

These are posted just so you can see real world differences between a twin Ike strobe Ikelite housed Canon dSLR vs a Canon 570IS P&S with Inon D2000 single strobe with diffuser. I think that in the photo above I actually fired the strobe aimed behind me to bounce the light. The light colored limestone made an excellent diffuser.

N

I also am an advanced amateur on the surface with 30 years experience.
I've been shooting underwater for a couple of years now.
My first outfit started as a Fuji F-700 in it's matching housing. I added a pair of inexpensive strobes (Pixtreme PX21 (Same as Fantasea Nano)) for $99 each.
On my last dive trip my camera got flooded. Keep in mind that it is not a matter of if you will flood a camera but when. For this reason I originally set up a P&S and will continue to use P&S cameras underwater.
My replacement is a Fujifilm F50fd it is a 12 meg, advanced P&S with full manual control
The camera can be had for less them $150 and so can the housing. Fantasea makes a port adapter that will allow the use of their Macro, wide angle and filter lenses with the housing. This makes for a very versatile outfit at a tight budget price.
I've yet to use it underwater but I have a strong feeling it will set a price/performance ratio mark that will be hard to beat.

I would buy a camera that you can initially use as a point and shoot but has a manual option that you can use as you get comfortable with using a camera underwater. I learned early on that taking UW photos is not easy because of bouyancy, currents, and viz greatly affect your ability to take pics. I have used Sea&Sea cameras and have been very happy with them. I know own a DX-1G that can be used as a point and shoot camera but can also be used in a manual mode. I have two Ys-110 strobes and a wide angle lens as well. I am not a professional photographer but I am happy with my results. Click on my "photos" link in the left side of my post to see pics I have taken.

The amount of money you are willing to spend obviously dictates what you will buy. My rig will run well over $1000. There are other cameras that you can get for less. A DSLR rig will cost several times that amount. I would also recommend taking an UW photography course. I took the PADI course through my local dive shop and it was helpful. I also took a couple of online courses that were very helpful. Here is a link to the courses I took: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos.

If you have any questions, email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

W

Back to the OP's original question:

What camera to get? First question -- What do you want to do with it? Are you primarily interested in taking "good" images (see my prior post -- at least I think some are "good") or are you primarily interested in taking "very good/great" images?

Second question -- What is your budget?

If you want "great" images (of the "I want to sell these" type) -- I'm convinced you need a dSLR and at least two strobes. The jump in pure image quality due to the choice of lenses just makes a dSLR a "better" camera than any Point 'n Shoot. Yes, the most important piece of camera equipment is the eye behind the lens BUT, the lens is number two and does make a huge difference.

If you are willing to be satisfied with merely "good" images, then go the Point 'n Shoot route due to the cost and flexibility of them -- not to mention ease of use and ease of transportation. To determine WHICH Point 'n Shoot -- I'd suggest looking at the following:

a. How "wide angle" is the native wide angle? For example, my Canon S80 has a 28mm wide angle (35mm equiv) which is why I went with it over the Olympus SP350.

b. How "macro" is the native macro? A lot of shooting tends to be macro (and this is where the dSLR's shine) so how good is the "macro mode" on the P n S?

c. How much control will it give you? Does it have a manual mode? Does it have manual focus? And if so, how easy it is to use when housed? (BTW, I didn't consider the ease of use of those two items when my S80 is housed and I wish I had because it is near on to impossible to change settings in manual mode with my housing in cold water -- i.e. with dry gloves one.)

d. Another issue I'd look for is RAW capability. I know it is a big thing for a lot of people but, for me, it is not all that important but then I don't use RAW when shooting with my dSLR on land. (Also, most of my UW shooting is done with a strobe so I'm not doing the blue color correction.)

e. The last issue is video. I don't use video very much but I'm very happy I have that option with my P 'n S. For example, when we dropped off the boat into a pod of dolphins I shot a few still and then switched to video and got several priceless minutes of us playing with the dolphins -- not to mention a much earlier video of a humpback doing a loop and swimming around us. Video is a very good addition which most dSLR's don't provide (the new D90 does, right?).

Anyway, to the OP, those are my thoughts -- and I still don't have a clue what is the "right" camera for UW photography -- although I believe there are many that are the wrong camera!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom