What camera do people recommend for a beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobshreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving about a year and I'd like to start doing some underwater photography. I am an experienced photographer in the air and I want to start underwater with inexpensive equipment. I have found a couple of possibilities. One is a Sea Life DC800 which costs about $400. The other course would be one of the many inexpensive Canons plus a Canon underwater case.

What do you think of these two options?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

I prefer the SeaLife Pro.

You get the camera and a strobe which helps with color at depth.

I would suggest a SeaLife with a strobe also.
Good luck,
U/O

So here's the quick answer and then a long one.

Quick: Grab a housing for your camera (especially if it's point & shoot). You've got to be comfortable with controlling the features. Next, buy a very good strobe and be prepared to spend money on it. I'd recommend any of the higher-end Ikelites or Sea & Seas. Your lighting is more important than your camera. Most amateurs come out w/very blue pictures or over-exposed pictures w/flash. Putting money into the flash allows you to upgrade your equipment (which most people do if they get into it) and you don't have to junk your investment in the flash.

Long Answer:
Most new photographers take cheap down and it shows. I did. I had a Nikon point & shoot (a high-end one though) and a Fantasea strobe. Well over 2/3rds of my pictures were throw aways. All of my pics had 2 common issues - blurred or incorrect lighting. The blurring was caused by inadequate shutter speed and auto-focus speed from the camera. Most P&Ss are great for still pictures and when you have time to setup. Neither of these happen underwater frequently. The 2nd issue was bad exposures (over or under or just blue water). That was a weakness in the strobe. Most cheaper strobes don't throw off alot of light and the angle of the light is relatively narrow. Combine that with the fact the strobe isn't metered to the camera (they fire when the camera flash fires and fire the same light regardless of what's needed), and you can see the dilema. That means trial & error shooting until you get what you want.

So here's the reason for all of this. If you get into shooting underwater, you will upgrade. To what will depend on your shooting. So before investing a ton, go shoot. See what you like and don't like. Then you can be specific on your needs and your budget (underwater photography can cost a small fortune). If you've got a good strobe, you're going to immediately increase your odds of better pictures (since color loss is the main issue) and you've got an upgrade path.

I now shoot an SLR with dual strobes. On my last trip to Bonaire, about 80% of my pictures were keepers and I have several that will be in competitions this year. The bad ones were because of me, not my gear. My old Nikon setup is sitting in the closet - I use it when instructing UW photography. My cheap fantasea strobe - I sold it for 30 cents on the dollar to a friend just starting out (after I bought it new a year ealier). On my Bonaire trip in December, there were about 15 photographers in our group. As I expected, the ones with the better flashes and gear (yes these were more expensive) had the better pictures (and they had a higher percentage of keepers).

One of the rigs I saw that I liked was a Canon G10 with a single Ikelite DS51. Two of the advanced photographers (one owns his own studio) were shooting this setup. Neither matched my SLR, but they both came away with great pictures. The setup still has some of the inherent issues with focus, speed, and light metering, but the camera was very fast relative to most point and shoots, and the strobe more forgiving.

If you want to see pictures, contact me and I'll be happy to share to show you what I'm talking about.

PM sent.

This was told to me a long time ago and it is still true I do think.

The two most important factors in getting good photographs are:

1) The perspective of the person pushing the shutter button.
2) Get close, no get closer, nope, get closer still, and to do that you need a very wide angle lens.

Oh and:

3) Get a strobe and learn how to use it for fill lighting.

Notice, I did not include purchasing a 4,000 dollars camera or any of that.

N

I go to Walmart and buy a $10 underwater special. It does "freeze up" at 50 feet and pictures are all blue/grey for anything deeper than 20 feet in clear water. :) But it does the job for "memories".

I take plenty of pictures above water - Canon (digital) and Nikon (film) and Sony Camcorder.

I'm a hunter/gatherer - not a photog.

drdaddy

nemrod - you're dead on on getting close. that's the single best thing you can do to minimize color loss.

for any of you that felt I was pushing expensive gear, I'm not. I own it simply because I see the difference in it and wanted it for my diving. The best recommendation is to get a simple setup to begin with and go dive. You'll figure out fairly quickly whether you're happy with the results. But let's also be clear, unlike topside photography where gear matters little, underwater it does. Just like better regs, wetsuits, fins, etc make a difference too and also tend to cost a little more. but in the end, the important thing is to go dive and spend what your comfortable with.

I have a Canon S80, Canon housing and Inon D2000 strobe. The most expensive part of the setup, and the most important part, is the strobe -- without one you'll only be taking "I was there" pictures IMHO.

I am very tempted to house my dSLR because I know I'm losing shots do to the technical limits of my gear. That said, I can get very good shots -- both "macro" and "wide angle" and I get decent video too -- all with a setup that fits into a small case.

What's a guy to do?

{Note -- various pictures:

This weekend

Pics with and without using external macro lens

Actual picture:

0528af10.jpg

I have a Canon S80, Canon housing and Inon D2000 strobe. The most expensive part of the setup, and the most important part, is the strobe -- without one you'll only be taking "I was there" pictures IMHO.

I am very tempted to house my dSLR because I know I'm losing shots do to the technical limits of my gear. That said, I can get very good shots -- both "macro" and "wide angle" and I get decent video too -- all with a setup that fits into a small case.

What's a guy to do?

{Note -- various pictures:

This weekend

Pics with and without using external macro lens

Actual picture:

0528af10.jpg

You will get what you pay for -- spend the money on a good strobe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom